• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

9” Rear Oil Drain

RonJones

I’m about to build up my Locker rear end and would like to put a Currie Bung and Plug on it. I understand straight down at the lowest point makes it vulnerable to damage, and the diff is mainly on the left, driver’s side so it might do better somewhat to the right. Anybody have examples of what might be a good spot?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
How critical is the drain close to the lowest point of your diff? Meaning, do you wheel a LOT or just occasionally?

One fix--If you wheel a lot, mount it off to the side some and for as often as you change the rear diff fluid, jack the opposite side up so the drain is now close to being at the lowest point...

Another option- remove the lowest stud on the 9". Replace it with a nut that is welded in place. Now you use a bolt for that spot and you just put silicone on the bolt and you will not have a leak. I've done this 2nd mod on several 9" rears and it works great...drains slow, but who cares. Drive it before you drain it so it's hot and drains better.

How often do we change the rear diff fluid anyway... these make it easier...

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...One fix--If you wheel a lot, mount it off to the side some and for as often as you change the rear diff fluid, jack the opposite side up so the drain is now close to being at the lowest point...

This is what a Toyota 8" does...off to the side with a ring to keep rocks from spinning out the plug. When I did my 9" housing, I tapped an 1/8" NPT plug into the rear seam. It's slightly sub-flush, so it should hopefully avoid most trail damage. While it doesn't drain quickly, like nvrstuk says, who cares. Pull the plug, walk away, and come back a few hours later to an empty differential.