• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

9" Third Member Removal

kbronco

OK I've got the axles pulled out, the driveshaft loose, and all the nuts off the studs around the third member. I have tugged, used a BFH and block of wood and banged, I've jacked, and still to no avail the center section still holds on. What the heck has a guy gotta do to get a 36 year old third member out of its home.?:?

truehi9

Loc.
Dilworth, MN
From the factory there are copper washers on the studs that are usually squished into the threads of the studs. You usually have to remove them one at a time with a chisel or something.

OP
OP
kbronco

kbronco

OK thanks I'll give that a try. Anybody else with ideas please post.

Thanks

OP
OP
kbronco

kbronco

Bitch'nBronco said:
I pulled the axels all of the way out, took all of the nuts off and gave it a good yank, and it came right out.

I pulled and yanked the piss out of it and it never budged, but as soon as I took those _______ washers off I was able to pry it loose and drain the fluid. That washer tip was a freakin' life saver truehi9. One more question, this is my first rodeo with this as you can tell, and I was wondering is it ok to just take this thing to the car wash and pressure wash it to get the grime off of it?

Thanks

truehi9

Loc.
Dilworth, MN
Yes, but as soon as you get home blow it dry and take a oil can to ALL the bearings. When you put it back together put a small amount of silicone around each stud where they come out of the housing and leave those washers off.

tworedballs

Loc.
Satellite Beach
I just dropped my rear end for a complete rebuild of the 9" and used some degreaser and SimpleGreen cleaner. A wire brush will get most of the surface rust off the ouside of the housing, but you'll need to clean the inside of the housing really well. I used a long metal rod with a shop rag and stuffed the rag into the housing and pushed it all the way into the center. This took several attempts to get it clean, but it worked.

Also, try some cheap brake cleaner. It'll eat through most grime. Burt up diff. fluid is a beast to clean, but it can be done.

Coat your axles in WD40 while you're not using them to keep rust from forming.

While you've gone this far it might be a good time to look at some new bushings for your springs and also brake lines or hoses. The stock hoses might be cracked. Also, don't forget about the gaskets and seals...;D

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
tworedballs said:
While you've gone this far it might be a good time to look at some new bushings for your springs and also brake lines or hoses. The stock hoses might be cracked. Also, don't forget about the gaskets and seals...;D

And then while you are in there, you might as well upgrade to 31 spline axles, and a locker, and then while you are at it, throw an N-case in there to replace your stocker, a daytona pinion support, and then disc brakes on the rear would be cool, better leaf springs would be nice, and then, and then and then, and then.......;D ;D ;D ;D

(I love this disease)

OP
OP
kbronco

kbronco

I'm going to be about 70-75% highway/street and 25-30% offroad and road manners are pretty important to me so I went with Detroit TrueTrac for the front and rear. My 28 spl. axles were still in real good shape so I'll probably leave them unless something breaks and then I may just go with the HD 28 spl. to keep my carrier. I ordered all my rebuild stuff for the 9" and Dana 44 from Complete Offroad and they were really great to deal with. I should get my last box of parts today, I would really recommend them they work with you well. I will probably be ordering a roll cage kit from them in the future. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
At least you did order the stuff from the best place IMO always great to deal with and fast shipping:cool:

OP
OP
kbronco

kbronco

Yeah cheap shipping too. Don't get much cheaper than FREE. 9.95 handling fee per order ain't half bad.

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
I've had third members that wanted to be a PIA before. I just took my floor jack and put just a little pressure under the pinion part to get them to break loose. Make sure you point the jack to the front so you can still get a drain pan under the diff. Otherwise it gets a bit messy.

OP
OP
kbronco

kbronco

BUCKETOBOLTS said:
I've had third members that wanted to be a PIA before. I just took my floor jack and put just a little pressure under the pinion part to get them to break loose. Make sure you point the jack to the front so you can still get a drain pan under the diff. Otherwise it gets a bit messy.

Yeah I tried that before the washer tip, and it still didn't want to break loose.