• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

91 mustang 5.0 trans clutch??

joelozano

Hello I currently have a 91 mustang 5.0 efi on my 72, what clutch should I use? The one for a mustang or for a 72 bronco?

sp71eb

Loc.
North Liberty, Ia
If you are using a truck bellhousing you will need a flywheel from a early 90's f150 (50oz balance) and a stock bronco clutch will work. It is best to get a upgraded diaphragm style pressure plate. Mustangs have a 157 tooth flywheel whereas trucks use a bigger 164 tooth flywheel if you put the smaller flywheel in you will have to push start the truck because your starter won't meet up to the flywheel;).

OP
OP
J

joelozano

The clutch I bought is for a 72 bronco, so I would have to swap it for a mustang instead?

OP
OP
J

joelozano

Hate to be confusing but the problem Im having is that my Bronco is not shifting or wont go into gear. I bought the bronco clutch from Autozone and according to them they say its for my 72. This is what I have one more time; Motor and flywheel from 91 Mustang (motor fires right up with no problem runs smooth) and clutch for a 72 Bronco. Need help asap please, what could be the problem??

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
I find it unusual that it would even bolt up to the 5.0 HO flywheel. You stock flywheel is 164 tooth as mentioned above for this 11" clutch. The Mustang 5.0 HO flywheel is 157 tooth for a 10.5" clutch. I don't know how your starter can even spin the flywheel. Even if so, I don't know how this doesn't eat the bellhousing due to clearance.

baddad457

As the others have said, the Mustang flywheel will not work with the Bronco bell, if it is working, then it's not a Stang flywheel.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
To make this work...
Mustang engine
90's F150 flywheel
Bronco clutch
Bronco bellhousing
Bronco 3-speed
Bronco manual transmission starter.

Put any other parts in that you have laying around (mustang flywheel for example) and you will be asking for trouble.