• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

96/97 Explorer picnpull, serp and other parts?

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
Tomorrow heading to a local salvage yard to check/buy the explorer serpentine conversion. They have a 96 and 97 explorer with the 5.0 engine.

Anything else I should be checking for in this year vehicle?

Also any suggestions or advice in what to look for with the serpentine system.
I was going to check the mileage on the cars to decide which engine to pull the serp system from.

Thanks.
-Robert

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Stop by the autozone and rent one of the fan tools to remove the fan and a puller for the balancer. If the radiator is already out they are pretty easy to pull and shouldnt take but about 30 minutes for each setup. Bring your red wagon if they dont have them there.

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
Buy the whole engine and the serp set-up will be thrown in. Then you can keep the motor or sell it off which ever you want. Here in Vegas a fuly dressed long-block is $300The yards make their money by part so one part equals much less mark-up.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
If you haven't already read the tech article you should, it's very thorough. If you're not going to get the whole motor grab the heads if they're GT40s and the upper/lower intake, rail, and throttle body just in case you wanna do an EFI swap or you could sell them if you don't want them.

OP
OP
SDlivin

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
Buy the whole engine and the serp set-up will be thrown in. Then you can keep the motor or sell it off which ever you want. Here in Vegas a fuly dressed long-block is $300The yards make their money by part so one part equals much less mark-up.

Unfortunately, have no room to store an engine right now....
they quoted me $200 for the serp system with everything, and that is with them doing the 'pullin'.

OP
OP
SDlivin

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
If you haven't already read the tech article you should, it's very thorough. If you're not going to get the whole motor grab the heads if they're GT40s and the upper/lower intake, rail, and throttle body just in case you wanna do an EFI swap or you could sell them if you don't want them.

Yes, I read the tech article multiple times, last time this morning which got me to looking for the serp system in the first place. Agreed, very thorough.

As for the other parts you recommend grabbing;
How can I tell if they are GT40 heads?
Not being familiar with EFI, upper and a lower intake?
Rail I am guessing is the fuel rail?

Also I am putting this serp system on my 351W, are these other parts you mention compatible?

Thanks!
-Robert

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
the 5.0 intake won't fit the 5.8 you have. Grab the fuel rail however. Heads will work. every nut bolt and washer that come with each of those things.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
The upper efi stuff will work with a lightning lower if you wanted to go that route eventually. I am still trying to find one of those lightning lowers for my 351w on the wife's.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I guess I missed where this is going on a 351w. As already mentioned you'd need a different lower. I found mine on Stangnet.com from a guy in NY. A few pop up on eBay but they're kinda tricky to find, and a little pricey.

I would assume the GT40 would be cast into the heads on the valve side. At least that's where the cast number is for the E7 heads I have.

OP
OP
SDlivin

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
I guess I missed where this is going on a 351w. As already mentioned you'd need a different lower. I found mine on Stangnet.com from a guy in NY. A few pop up on eBay but they're kinda tricky to find, and a little pricey.

I would assume the GT40 would be cast into the heads on the valve side. At least that's where the cast number is for the E7 heads I have.

You didn't miss it, I just failed to mention it originally.

I'll check the heads, see if they are marked, and possibly grab the upper intake, fuel rail if the cost is reasonable, since an efi upgrade is on the list, just not in the too near future....
Too many EB projects to finish, not enough time, nor money at this rate...

Thanks.

-Robert

gtnorga

Gt 40 heads have 2 lines on the front and rear of the head and gt stamped in the corner when you remove the valve covers as I recall gt40p has 3 lines and gTP stamp as I recall

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
JAJA, SDLIVING we should hook up and hit the wrecking yards one of this sat's. I have the GT40P heads, they have 3 lines and the "GT40P" all over the place.

I have the 91 cougar serpentine setup, the 74 v belt set up, I am considering the explorer set up, may be in a couple of weeks I will look for one, once a lot of things are completed.

OP
OP
SDlivin

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
JAJA, SDLIVING we should hook up and hit the wrecking yards one of this sat's. I have the GT40P heads, they have 3 lines and the "GT40P" all over the place.

I have the 91 cougar serpentine setup, the 74 v belt set up, I am considering the explorer set up, may be in a couple of weeks I will look for one, once a lot of things are completed.

When your up for it, let me know.

I just picked up today the serp system for $200, they pulled. Timing cover on out. Metal fan. Included the pressure hose on teh power steering.

Should I have also grabbed the Power steering cooler?

the heads on that particular engine do have the 3 lines on the front, so guessing they are GT40P head. Based on the other info ,that I'll need a hard to find lower intake for my 5.8, I haven't decided to grab them and the upper intake etc....

Next questions is whats the deal with these heads? why so sought after? and with an engine that has 100k miles on it, would they need to be rebuilt anyways?

thanks.

-Robert

Nightstick

Bronco guy
The GT40 and GT40P heads have very good flow characteristics for factory heads, and are a fairly cheap upgrade to any small block. Depending on who you ask one is better than the other, but the non-P heads are easier to throw on because the spark plug location on the P heads limits your choices of headers. Ford Racing makes aluminum GT40s which again would be better than cast, but they're $475+ each. Even if you don't use them you should be able to sell them pretty easily.

gtnorga

The p heads also don't have air injection ports so less plumbing to get in your way at pull and nothing to block off at build

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
THe GT40 heads have 3 lines in the front of the head, while GT40P have four lines. Maybe I can snap a pic to show you what I mean?

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
I went with the GT40P's cause I wanted the higher compression and better efficiency, plus the mustang guy sold me the special MAC headers also. they where off a engine that had been rebuilt 40K miles earlier, that have the dual springs also already installed.

I do not know that they would make a big difference on the 351w. I am going with a 1991 5.0L HO from a cougar. I saw a couple of magazines claiming up to 75 HP increase on a semi stock 5.0 with these heads, i am using the stock HO cam and looking for the most torque, but the heads should help.

Next trip to the bone yards will be when I go look for the rear disc setup from a v8 explorer. may be we can hook up.

as far as the serpentine set up, i saw a picture here of a serpentine set up with one bracket on the driver side that mounted the PS on the bottom and the Alternator on the top, this seems a lot simpler for me. Any one know what this came from??? :cool: