• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'96 Explorer 5.0 HO Engine Question

blue bronc

Loc.
Fort worth
I have been looking at information on 5.0 builds and am not really finding the answer to the main question that I have.
I have seen lots of people rebuild and replace all the internals and get good HP numbers.
A lot of the people on this forum really like the 5.0 HO for broncos.
So I ask
What is the biggest restriction a stock motor has from making 250HP or 300HP? 300 is a bit high but 250HP is reasonable.
Is it a number of things or one primary thing that a stock 5.0HO needs to get those kind of gains?
Would reworking the heads get you those kinds of improvements? Can they be improved that much?
There is something I am not thinking of that limits these engines to 200HP.
I am looking to be educated.
Thanks
Mark

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
The numbers I have seen for the mustang 5.0 is 225hp and the explorer was 250 or a little better? The explorer has better heads and upper and lower intake which makes up the better numbers. By going to a good flowing exhaust those number should come up a bit. Frankly unless you are looking at racing the bronco, the explorer in stock form is a fantastic engine for the bronco. I just installed one in a buddies bronco with a 2 barrel carb and was amazed at how much seat of the pant feel it had over my mustang 5.0 with fuel injection and the upper and lower explorer intakes. So I have to assume the big difference between mine and his is the low end cam and the better flowing GT40P heads that came on the explorer originally. There are some people that have found a cam that gets good low end power and good power on the high end of the RPM range.

I am considering buying a set of GT40 heads and a better cam to see if I can develop more low end grunt.

Ben

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
of you want 300hp my advice is start with a 351w. that will give you more cubes for more torque. torque is what you want in the bronco.