• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

96 Explorer EFI intakes on 85 HO Mustang motor?

73project

Loc.
Salt Lake City
I wanted some advice on swaping a 96 Explorer EFI intake on my 85 Mustang HO motor. I can get an upper and lower intake, throttle body, wiring harness, and injectors for $200. Is this price reasonable? Any problems with this swap? Any help will be appreciated.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
You will want to go with the Mustang MAF system from between 89 and 93 which means you will need a 5.0 Distributor, Mustang wiring harness, Mustang ECM, ECT sensor, MAF unit (sensor and housing), possibly an ACT sensor which will need to be mounted into the intake, BP sensor, fuel pump, inertia switch, and O2 sensors. I think that covers everything. Basically from what you listed you need the intake along with everything connected to it. I.E. Lower and Upper, Throttle body, injectors, fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator, idle air solenoid, and throttle position sensor. I wouldn't even attempt to use the Explorer wiring harness. It is a lot harder to get working and would require a lot of other changes to the motor.

As far as the deal for it I think it is a fair price. I've seen the intakes go for twice that on Ebay.