• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

96 long block?

tutone

I have a 70 Bronco 302 / 3spd. The engine is tired, was removed and then dropped at some point bending the nose of the crank. I would like to keep the carb setup rather than go to EFI, and am looking for later model long blocks.
I am looking at buying a 96 5.0 out of a Bronco. I understand I would need to change the harmonic balancer and flywheel to go to the 50oz models, change the distributor gear, and sort out the the clutch z-bar mount since it won't bolt up to a 96. Are there any other gotchas I need to watch out for? Is the 96 5.0 a good candidate for this?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Plug the extra dipstick hole in the block. Just above the oil pan rail.

There may be a bump in the block that may interfere with some motor mounts. Clearance the mount if needed.

Test fit the hardware that screws into the heads, the threads might be a different size. Change the bolts if that is the case.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
A 96 5.0L should be a roller motor and already have a 50 oz imbalance??

I don't think it has GT40 heads, but there is only one way to check that.

WH's sells a bracket so that you can use the z-bar clutch bracketry

Oil pan, will the newer Bronco one clear or will you reuse the old one.

There is a thread here, somewhere, that talked about the correct intake gaskets to use with early/late heads. I don't remember which set they recomended?

OP
OP
T

tutone

I need a new HB or a v-belt pulley w/ 3 holes (I think?). If I remember right, the 96 is a 3 bolt pulley and the 70 is a 4 bolt. I could be wrong though.

I was planning on using my old oil pan, but I guess I'll assess when I pick up the motor. I wasn't even thinking that I could reuse the pan, good call there.

I'll read up on the intake gasket, thanks for the heads up.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Other way around. Original Bronco is a 3-bolt damper. New stuff is 4-bolt.
I go the new damper route, not dealing with aged rubber slipping. The only pulley is aluminum, does wear faster.

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
I went with a hydraulic clutch on mine. Works great, but a little more complicated than the WH adapter.

OP
OP
T

tutone

Thanks for all the help so far.
I bought the engine and got it home today. Turns out the engine came out of a 5 spd 96 Bronco, so it has a flywheel which seems great! However, the flywheel is massive compared to my 70 flywheel. Like it is ~ 2" larger in diameter. Do I need to get a different bellhousing for my stock 3spd to bolt up to this, and go buy a 96 pressure plate/disc ? Or do I just go get a smaller 50oz flywheel and use my old separator plate and a 70ish clutch? Or can I do either?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
You need to figure out what you have, to get to where you need to be...

Borrowed this from the MDL site...

Attachments

• Flywheel clutch pattern chart.pdf
    167.3 KB · Views: 5