• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

!966 289 fan spacer size?

jnirenstein

Contributor
Hi All! Looking for info for the correct size fan spacer for the 289 build on my 66. A ford part number would be great! Or even just the right size as there are a lot of options... 3/4" 1.5" 2.5....
Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If yours did not come with a Thermactor (air pump) it may not even have had a spacer.
Most (or at least most in my experience) of the pre-'73 models did not use a spacer.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does yours actually need one to clear things? Or do you know if would it work without one?

Paul

OP
OP
jnirenstein

jnirenstein

Contributor
Does yours actually need one to clear things? Or do you know if would it work without one?

Paul

Good question Paul! My truck originally came with a 170 3 Spd. I am converting to a 289/C4 combo. I have taken the truck completely apart and I'm starting from scratch with a donor 1966 Mustang 289 that did have the Thermactor set-up. I will be eliminating that as it's silly! so I actually don't know yet what the spacing will be like. Obviously I am converting to a V8 radiator and adding the appropriate mounting hardware for that. I have moved the engine mounts to the "appropriate" spot for the 289 but have yet to finish the body work to put the body back on the frame and see where there might be any clearance issues with respect to the fan spacing. My thinking was that the very few 66 trucks that came with a 289 must have come stock in some form or another either with a spacer or without one although they would have had a 3spd and NOT a C4 so it's a bit of a crap shoot...I may have to wait until it's all together to figure it out...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, at least that makes it less of an emergency that you find one now. Hate to delay the project when you get to that point, but only putting it together will tell.

It's actually desirable to go without a spacer in order to keep that precious little space between the fan and radiator as large as possible. It's only when you start to use power steering pumps with dual crank and water pump pulleys that things start to get close between the back edges of the fan blades and the accessories.

Good luck!

Paul

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The '68, '73, and '77 I own or owned all had the same 3/4" spacers. The common SOP is to have 1/2 the fan blades inside the shroud. With my '77 using the stock fan and spacer the front edge of the fan blades barely reach the hole in the shroud. So it seems the spacer would be a good idea in any EB.