• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A few random questions after working on the Bronco! - NEW DAY, NEW QUESTIONS

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Good evening all,

A bit of a slow week at work means I get to spend some time today and tomorrow working on the Bronco. A bit of commentary, then some questions at the bottom.

The Bronco came with a roll bar but it only had 1 bolt holding it down at 3 of the 4 corners. Goal for the day was to mock up my new 3 pt belts and drill mounting hole for shoulder attachment, then remove bar and get it ready for powder coating. Of course, to get it out required the hard top to come off!

Had to rig up a pulley system, since there were only 2 of us, and we wanted to just lift it off temporarily:

Once off, pulled it outside to check it out. It was 40 degrees and sunny today, not ideal conditions for a topless cruise!

Here are the questions that I'm hoping someone can help with:

1. SEAT BELT BUNGS - can anyone recommend an online vendor to get the seat belt bungs to weld into the rollbar? Bonus points if they're anywhere close to PA and I don't have to pay expedited shipping charges. These are nice, but they're in CA: http://shop.poisonspyder.com/Machined-Steel-Seatbelt-Bungs-p/14-19-031.htm

2. TIRE RACK BOLT - another part I removed to prepare to send off for powder coating. I soaked it in wd40 but despite my best efforts, ended up busting the bolt. Anyone happen to have this laying around that I can buy off you? Doesn't look like any of the vendors sell this. It's the funny sized shoulder bolt.

3. HT holes? What, if anything, are people using to hide/cover all the hardtop mounting holes on the tops of the rear quarter panels? Doesn't look so hot with the HT off. I'll be removing the top come spring and plan on leaving it off for 6-8 months.

4. Reverse wiring - anyone have a photo of the plug that connects the two male spade connectors on the shift column in the engine bay to the dash wiring? Apparently I am missing that connector.

Got another box in the mail today from JBG including some more fun parts - a new steering wheel, t-stat, rear seat belts, and the 66-68 turn signal covers so I can do the Alice mod. Got the turn signal assemblies from Delconick this past weekend.

Should be fun! Thanks!

Last edited:

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
My only bit of input is to definitely use the through the tube bungs for your 3-point. You weld them on both sides and they have a shoulder so it's nearly impossible for them to pull through.

bigpitbull

BRONCO ADDICT
Loc.
Saltillo, MS
The answer to the question regarding the holes in the quarter is.... Nothing. I leave them open. I have seen some people place bed rails over them and I prefer the stock look. Are you thinking of running a soft top? I'm not sure but the hardware could possibly cover them up.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
I ordered seat belt bungs from several companies only to have them call and tell me they were backordered 1-2 months! After a LOT of research I decided to go another route. I drilled and tapped the cage for the correct bolt size. Install a grade 8 nut of the same size on a bolt and thread tight into the hole. Weld the nut to the cage and remove the bolt. There is minimal compromise with this method, much less than through drilling the cage for a bung.

I would use Fine thread bolts no less than 7/16"

WASP1971

Loc.
Mary Esther, Florida
As for the seat belt attachment, I just drilled a hole through the bar where the kicker meets it, secured the bolt then attached the kicker so you can't see the end of the bolt. No welding required.

OP
OP
Fireball05

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the info guys. I was able to get the bungs from Bluetorch Fab, they had them in stock, and standard ground is only 2 days. Still expensive shipping for two little bolts, but as they say, SAFETY FIRST!

BTW, did the Alice mod today. The wires need to be swapped! Didn't read that on here, or in the instructions I got with the adapter bracket from JBG. The plug on the 66-68 lamps I got from Delconick had the same connection as my original ones, but when plugged in the parking light super bright and TS dimmer. Need to swap the wires around, and work as they should.

OP
OP
Fireball05

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Back again for some more easy questions!

The rear emergency brake cables - should they have a spring or clip or something holding them up? They just seem to be hanging about after the metal bracket that mounts to the underside of the body, the passenger side one rests on the u-joint.

Since the top is off, took the opportunity to fold the windshield down. Happy with what I saw! I'm ordering a new seal, but want to know if I should lay down some seam sealer to keep any water out from here?

Also, does anyone have photos of the rear seat mounts and the rear seat belt mounts? Apparently my Bronco didn't come with those holes drilled. They are marked with a punch where they should be, but never drilled.

Thanks!

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
From what I have seen before, the e brake cables on the passenger side are routed through the exhaust hanger on the passenger side of the truck. At least that's how it was on mine before I tore it apart. Not sure about the driver side.

Hinge area looks really good. Keep it up!

OP
OP
Fireball05

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Broncoitis - do you have a photo of what that is supposed to look like?

Thanks!

ILikeBond

3. HT holes? What, if anything, are people using to hide/cover all the hardtop mounting holes on the tops of the rear quarter panels? Doesn't look so hot with the HT off. I'll be removing the top come spring and plan on leaving it off for 6-8 months.

I put the bolts back in the holes - easy to find them when I need them again, give them a little protection from the paint chipping, etc., and I think it looks pretty cool, kinda tough. I don't have any great pictures of it, but you can see them if you look carefully at few here.

firstshot4large.jpg 022 (3).jpg back2t.jpg IMG_0989.jpg

do you have a photo of what that is supposed to look like?

My e-brake lines were similar, though not lying down on the pumpkin/drive shaft like yours. But after that last bracket, they do just run to the drums. Here are a few pics of what mine looked like. Again, not great pics, but if you look carefully you can make them out.

IMG_1434.jpg IMG_1433.jpg IMG_1428.jpg IMG_1427.jpg

OP
OP
Fireball05

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Bond - thanks for taking the time to post all the photos, very helpful! I think the bolts back in the holes look better than the holes, but I'm surprised all the vendors don't have a few different offerings to cover those up. I might look into making something up, but probably have bigger fish to fry before getting on that!

Also surprised the brake cables just lay there. Any ideas for what to use or how to hold them up?

Thanks!