• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A fool about to do an engine swap ;)

BroncoThug_77

Loc.
Calgary,Alberta
Hello fellas, im about to pull the trigger on a frpp 302 and try to pull the old motor out and put the new one in lol I cut trees in the mountains for a living so im not exactly a mechanic.
Is there anything i should know before i attempt this? i got a fellow tree killer thats gonna help me out lol im not sure if thats a good thing or not.
Will it basically just bolt right in place of the other one? Is there anything thatll need changing?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Might want to look at some of the 5.0 swap articles. While it is basically a bolt in deal there are some parts that are different like flywheels and balancers which will throw a wrench in your swap. Basically you wont be able to reuse your old balancer or flywheel on the new 302. because the balance is different. most bronco venders sel balancers that will work and you'll need a flywheel off a late model truck with a 5.0 say 82 up.
you can use your old oil pan and timing cover. but you wont be able to use a mechancial fuel pump unles you add a fuel pump ececntric to the cam. About the only other issue you may run into is you need a distributer that has a steel gear to run with the roller cam your new engine has. you can get complete distributers or just buy a gear to swap onto your current distributer.

Edger6

Loc.
Hampton,
Just what ever u do dont use the chain saw. Sometimes I feel the same, and I,m attempting a full restore, but my biggerst issue is getting tbe body straight.

Funny thing I bought a 460 24 inch rancher the other day.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Might want to look at some of the 5.0 swap articles. While it is basically a bolt in deal there are some parts that are different like flywheels and balancers which will throw a wrench in your swap. Basically you wont be able to reuse your old balancer or flywheel on the new 302. because the balance is different. most bronco venders sel balancers that will work and you'll need a flywheel off a late model truck with a 5.0 say 82 up.
you can use your old oil pan and timing cover. but you wont be able to use a mechancial fuel pump unles you add a fuel pump ececntric to the cam. About the only other issue you may run into is you need a distributer that has a steel gear to run with the roller cam your new engine has. you can get complete distributers or just buy a gear to swap onto your current distributer.
Also, staying with the 302 vs 5.0 theme.... If you've got a manual tranny, there may not be a hole in the block to bolt the motor pivot bracket to. Most of the vendors sell a new motor pivot bracket made to deal with this, or, if your block has a dimple where the bolt hole should be, you can drill and tap the hole.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the info broncnaz, so it will need an electric fuel pump?
Im guessing the radiator will work on the new engine?

Electric pump is probably easier than finding the parts to install a mechanical one although you might be able to swap the eccentric from your current engine to the new engine. I'm just not positive on what other parts you may need most likely a longer dowel pin for the cam is all that you would need but I'm not sure.
Then you reuse your current timing cover and water pump and stock accessories. which will allow you to reuse the orginal radiator with no mods needed.

OP
OP
B

BroncoThug_77

Loc.
Calgary,Alberta
Thanks for all the tips guys,any recommendations on intake and carb? it has a quadrajet on it right now.
The bronco is an automatic if that helps for the whole swap thing and is it best to take the tranny out first or just unbolt from it and pull it out?
Maybe ill just swap my 302 for a big chainsaw motor hahaha

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
whatever your currently running is fine if your happy with it it will bolt right on your new engine. Usually easier to just unbolt the tranny from the engine.

MeyerzBronco

It's not that expensive to have a mechanic do it for you. Hire someone that will do it in your garage so you can help and learn. Engine swaps can be very frustrating especially if you don't know what you are doing. Leave it up to a pro so you can enjoy your ride.