• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A9L Computer

shamus

I have an 86 wiring harness but am having problems with spark. I was told that the A9L computer might be the problem and I might have to go with a VM1 computer instead? The A9L were used in 87 and up?? Or should it work still.
Thanks

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
86 wiring harness would no be compatible with the A9L computer. A9l was used from mid to late 87 and up. Can't help you what computer you would need for the 86 however.

Might try fordfuelinjection.com for computer info.

Ben

mattt

Bronco Guru
A9L is from an 89-93 Mass Air Mustang. The 86-87 Mustangs were Speed Density systems with no MAF sensor. 88 was a change over year, with CA Mustangs being Mass Air, other states...I'm not sure. Easiest way to tell is look up the ECU code on FFI.com, and see if the harness has the Mass Air Flow plug/pigtail. I think you can convert an earlier harness to work as a Mass Air harness with the addition of a MAF pigtail and a few other changes....what they are, I dont know.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
If you need a speed denisty computer I have 2 of them. $40 + shipping for either one. VR1 and a DA1

OP
OP
S

shamus

Thanks for all you input and help. I think I will go with the mass air convertion so I can keep this computer. I was advised the A9L is won of the better ones to have.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Ask Socaltom or Broncobowsher they will know. They know everything.
Speaking for myself, That's the best laugh I've had all week :eek: The 86 harness is a speed density setup. You will want a speed density computer, or add a mass air sensor with an addon harness. If the engine is stock you won't pick up much HP by moving to mass air, probably cheaper to get the SD computer. You can sell the MA computer for at least $100 if its in good shape.
Tom