• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A9L or A9P mustang computer for EFI conversion? Does it matter?

GatorDone

Loc.
Littleton
I've searched many threads here and can't seem to find specifics on the A9L and A9P mustang computers so I am throwing this out to the EFI gurus. I have decided to take the EFI plunge (picked up a complete '97 Explorer engine) and I'm trying to figure out computer options (since the stock Explorer computer and wiring harness apparently will not work with a conversion).

Based on what research I have done thus far, I understand the '89 to '93 mustang computers to be the preferred computers, particularly ones with certain program codes. Two of said program codes are the A9L and A9P computers. My question is: will either of those computers work just fine for an EFI conversion with a C4 transmission?

Everything I have found online related to these two computers has to do with the timing curves between the two and whether the transmission is an AOD or manual transmission, but nothing about using either computer with a C4. Can anyone help? Thanks.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I have an A9P in my rig, but swapped out another eec from a 5.0 Mustang (I can't remember the code) and the difference was negligable if any at all. I wouldn't worry too much about the 'prefered' code'd eec's...

One word of advice, prices on these eec's has gone through the roof and if your seeing used junkyard eec's for over $70 I'd suggest finding a cheap core at the junkyard and getting a reman unit from NAPA. I had to order one last year but all I could find for used eec's at the time were in the $150 range and the reman unit was $150 and came with a warranty....