• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

? about Viking Red paint

SteveC

Loc.
Tuscaloosa AL
Body man had a little trouble finding the right cross over formula for viking red. He has some mixed he wants me to look at tomorrow. It's mixed by the formula the paint company gave him but he says it's really close but its not perfect match to the other red inside the bronco (under the carpet). I think he is thinking it should be really really red. From others I have seen its more of a "dull" just plain ole red. Not really similar to candy apple. Am I correct? Has anyone else run into this with viking red?

thanks

DWALKER

This is mine. It is supposed to be Viking Red. Now it seem to change shades of red in different light. Brite sun light it is red as can be. Shop light it's orangey. Street light almost pink.
484dcd5247ea38421457f724b068c663.jpg

6bd60ac10effc80c114f00ac8a3740ac.jpg

e1017dd68bf2c6f4cb852bbc2443c0ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
..OK .. Guys .. I sold DuPOINT PAINT FROM 1967 UNTIL 1995. THE company I worked for sold 1/5 of the DuPoint paint in TEXAS.. That a lot of paint .. & My Store was no. 1 for the company sales.
... ...................
..... SO No 2 company's call their paint the same name That's no 1.
... No.2 DuPoint name for the dark Red ... aka Candy Apple Red. It's number was 4737AM . It was Acrylic Enamel Paint . A was for Acrylic & M was the price code.
..No.3 4294AH was Rangoon Red A for acrylic & H for price code.
... I can't remember any more reds in those years .. As I recall the paint code for Candy APPLE WAS CODE ''R'' & Rangoon Red was ""H"".
.. I believe a lot of the 65 Mustangs were painted H.. Rangoon Red.
.... SO VIKING Red is some other Brand .. Maybe Martin Senior . NAPA's brand . I don't think it was Ditzler's name was Viking either.
.. Those were my 2 other competitors brands . Later I had several more.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Viking red is a ford color at least according to the chip book and some dealer brochures. Inknow you have alot of experience with the paint though Pa. been followin your threads and posts for a loooong time. Lol

Mikel C

Loc.
Tuscaloosa, AL.
Tuscaloosa

Body man had a little trouble finding the right cross over formula for viking red. He has some mixed he wants me to look at tomorrow. It's mixed by the formula the paint company gave him but he says it's really close but its not perfect match to the other red inside the bronco (under the carpet). I think he is thinking it should be really really red. From others I have seen its more of a "dull" just plain ole red. Not really similar to candy apple. Am I correct? Has anyone else run into this with viking red?

thanks

SteveC,

Just noticed you were in Tuscaloosa, so am I. Didn't realize it was other members on here from Tuscaloosa. Would like to get up with you and talk Bronco sometime.

Bradsp8

My '75 is Viking Red and I'd say it looks slightly different in various lighting situations. My opinion is that it's an orangish red. Certainly not candy apple.

Have you taken it to a automotive paint shop that has the latest equipment to match the existing paint? A good local shop should be able to match the interior less faded paint as well as outer faded and weathered paint. For touch ups you may walk out with two different formulas, one for interior and one for exterior. For an entire repaint you probably should match the interior paint, maybe under the mat where it's not faded. Or possibly under the hood?

OP
OP
SteveC

SteveC

Loc.
Tuscaloosa AL
SteveC,

Just noticed you were in Tuscaloosa, so am I. Didn't realize it was other members on here from Tuscaloosa. Would like to get up with you and talk Bronco sometime.

What's your last name? I have noticed you on here before and we may know each other! Mikel is kinda unique. LOL

OP
OP
SteveC

SteveC

Loc.
Tuscaloosa AL
My '75 is Viking Red and I'd say it looks slightly different in various lighting situations. My opinion is that it's an orangish red. Certainly not candy apple.

Have you taken it to a automotive paint shop that has the latest equipment to match the existing paint? A good local shop should be able to match the interior less faded paint as well as outer faded and weathered paint. For touch ups you may walk out with two different formulas, one for interior and one for exterior. For an entire repaint you probably should match the interior paint, maybe under the mat where it's not faded. Or possibly under the hood?

This is what I'm thinking also. When it fades it goes orange.

PA: The paint card I have is a PPG card and it's listed as Viking red.

If this is card something weird can you explain?

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Rule #1 with original paint colors is when you want to be sure, go by the Ford paint code and year (from the Ford truck line, not car for Broncos), not names.

The name Ford used is sometimes not the same as what PPG, DuPont, Martin Senour or others called the same color.

Viking Red is however and original color for the Bronco. 1975 only, color code 6.

However, I'd have to look in my Ford paint book when I get home, but that color could even be the same formula as a red from another year or another model.

Ford used a color name and sometimes also a different promotional name which can vary by car to truck line, by year, or even by models of car or truck in the same year.

Bottom line, you could have the same actual color formula for which has different names and color codes from one year to another or even in the same year.

Here's a thread I started a few years ago with available Bronco colors by years. At some point I'll try to make a comparison chart of actual Ford paint base part numbers (formulas) to the various standard and promotional color names.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213689&highlight=Paint+code+resource

Other red names and color codes offered on Broncos:

Poppy Red* (S) 66,67 (same Ford 1730 Basic PN as Vermilion, AKA Calypso Coral)
Royal Maroon (B) 69, 70 [FoMoCo Maroon Basic PN 3059]
Rangoon Red (J) 66,67,68 [FoMoCo Basic PN 1515]
Signal Flare Red (Z) 68 [FoMoCo Basic PN 2025]
Candy Apple Red (T) 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 [FoMoCo Basic PN 2008]
Regis Red* (4) 71 [FoMoCo Dark Rd Ford Basic PN 3426)
Royal Maroon* (2) 73 [FoMoCo Maroon Basic PN 3059]
Viking Red* (6) 75 [FoMoCo Bright Red Basic PN 3560]
Cayan Red* (2) 76 [FoMoCo Tangerine Basic PN 5459]
Castillo Red* (K) 76, 77 [FoMoCo Bright Red Basic PN 5440]

*Indicates FoMoCo Promotional Name

Last edited:

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. SteveC. NO NOTHING WEIRD ... PPG has their name for Color Code H. & DU POINT HAS Their Name .. & the other companys will most all have some other name for the same paint.
.... ON METALLIC colors DuPoint calls theirs Met. at the end of the name. While Martin Senior called theirs Poly. both ment Mettalic .

Mikel C

Loc.
Tuscaloosa, AL.
Tuscaloosa

What's your last name? I have noticed you on here before and we may know each other! Mikel is kinda unique. LOL

Last name is Cade. I know a Steven Carroll from Northport. Just looked at your picture closely and noticed the house in the background. My long lost buddy. Should I say my buddy from Westervelt! How the heck are you?

OP
OP
SteveC

SteveC

Loc.
Tuscaloosa AL
Last name is Cade. I know a Steven Carroll from Northport. Just looked at your picture closely and noticed the house in the background. My long lost buddy. Should I say my buddy from Westervelt! How the heck are you?

All good! I figured it had to be you. I'll yell at you when I get it out of paint.

OP
OP
SteveC

SteveC

Loc.
Tuscaloosa AL
This is mine. It is supposed to be Viking Red. Now it seem to change shades of red in different light. Brite sun light it is red as can be. Shop light it's orangey. Street light almost pink.
484dcd5247ea38421457f724b068c663.jpg

6bd60ac10effc80c114f00ac8a3740ac.jpg

e1017dd68bf2c6f4cb852bbc2443c0ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked at the paint yesterday. It's gonna be identical to this. The paint on the dash and what was under the carpet looks a tad darker than this. I'm no expert but I would have thought it would have been lighter. Trimming it today!

broncodrew

Love the paint color...I have a 75 and went with the Viking Red. It appears more orange than red. You should be able to see pictures in my gallery.

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Hi I just stumbled upon this looking for the code for my Marti Auto tag. Mine is definitely a 1974, and factory Viking Red, color code 6. I think it was a 74–75 color.

House

Minutia Militia
Correct.
Also, it is the same color as Ford “Bright Red”.