• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Access to the rear cab with harness style seat belts?

79INA69

Access to the rear cab with harness style seat belts? Maybe removable shoulder bar for wheeling trips with 3 point belts for around town? Who has come up with a solution for 4/5 point harness belts in the passenger front seat and still has access to the rear seats with the top on? Currently I do not have a console, has family cage and factory hard top.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That’s a tough one, but I think the answer is just a removable bar, or half loops.
I don’t remember any members ever doing both types of belts. They either had three pointers or the full harness, but not sure if anybody swaps them out between trips.
Usually they have one type and stick with it, but no matter what, the full harness is usually troublesome.
I think I have seen loops instead of a crossbar before. That still blocks access from behind the side of the seat, but leaves the area between the seats open.
Either type is usually welded. The typical removable type leaves some sort of an anchor point that’s still going to be in the way for side access. Seems like between the seats is still going to be the answer.
Good question though. Don’t think I’ve seen a good discussion about this in a long time.

Good luck!

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I made hoops behind the seats.

Attachments

• cage8.jpg
    cage8.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 26
  • cage10.jpg
    cage10.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP

79INA69

Are the majority of rear seat Broncos on the trail just running 3 point belts? I might just do a hoop for the drivers seat for now. Go from there.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’d say the majority of Broncos are still running either original two point belts, or upgraded two point racing belts. We used to call them aircraft seatbelts in the old days.
Three point seatbelts are something we’ve only started regularly putting into Broncos in more recent years.
The first few maybe 25 years ago, with more and more over the last 15 (or maybe 20) years or so.
Of those, only a small percentage are running full racing harnesses.

OP
OP

79INA69

This worked well for Frank, but IDK how often he put someone into the back.

(click this text)

(click this text)

(click this text)
Yeah, I have a few junkyard grab 3 point belts and some 3/8" threaded weld in bungs. Was planning this style install. Thanks for the input all! Its funny how going to bronco events and such I find myself looking at "How did they do that" on whatever specific area I am focused on. And then when I get home I think, Oh, crap I forgot to look at the other thing. Sometimes its good to just go after it without ever seeing how someone else has done it. Other times, 20hrs in and you realize Oh, thats why nobody did it this way