• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Accessory Fuse Block, how to power it

kat

Loc.
Bristol
As you know have very little fuses for these old things. According to a lot of folks on here the Sea Blue fuse blocks are the way to go. I'm mainly wanting it for my accessories (electric fuel pump/light/etc) when I turn my key on. But what do I power the block with when I turn the key on??..Im assuming chase the wire down from under the dash from ignition switch or is there a better/easier way to accomplish this?? Going to mount on either fender well or firewall...Thanks....

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Hook up a heavy power line from battery + to a continious relay and then from relay to the + buss in the new fuse panel. Then run a power line from your ignition switch to the switch terminal on the continious relay. This will limit the load on the origional ignition switch. It will also de-energize your fuse panel when you turn off the ignition switch.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...ahUKEwiuq63pwpPSAhVY8mMKHW3oC7kQwg8IOw&adurl=

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
i used a continuous duty solenoid rated for 200? amps since the fuse block is rated for 100 amps. i used a switch to trigger the solenoid but you could easily use an acc wire from the ignition. the solenoid was like $20 on amazon and was for a golf cart.

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
I agree with Rustytruck. Don't even think about using a wire directly from your ignition switch or you'll surely regret it later. Use the hot lead on the ign. switch only to 'turn on' the relay which will take over, running the power from the +batt. through the relay to the +aux. fuse panel.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Thanks guys...so I wouldn't need a relay for my accessories coming into the block?? A friend of mine told me this...I don't have a clue....

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
i would use a relay for the higher draw stuff like halogen lights and electric fans.

the relays power can come from the fuse box since the box is likely rated at 30 amps per circuit. its your toggle/rocker switch that isn't rated for that kind of draw which is why you would use a relay.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Use a relay as noted above - Painless Wiring sub harness includes a relay. The "switch" wire to turn it on with the key you can grab off the ignition switch. I took my old 12v points wire and used it to close the relay to power all of my EFI magic.

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
The relay/solenoid (a solenoid is a relay, but not all are for continuous operation) powers the accessory fuse block. You may want to have relays coming out of the fuse block for individual accessories depending on the amp draw, but you absolutely want one running the power supply into your accessory fuse block.

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
By the way, I grabbed a couple of 2 place relay blocks out of Grand Marquis/Crown Vic at the pick-n-pull. They are mounted on the passenger front inner fender and have two 85 amp relays. Might be a good option for you. I'm using them for headlights and A/C.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Hook up a heavy power line from battery + to a continious relay and then from relay to the + buss in the new fuse panel. Then run a power line from your ignition switch to the switch terminal on the continious relay. This will limit the load on the origional ignition switch. It will also de-energize your fuse panel when you turn off the ignition switch.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...ahUKEwiuq63pwpPSAhVY8mMKHW3oC7kQwg8IOw&adurl=

Thank you so much.....Did this yesterday with a relay for a golf cart. My local parts guy bought one for his golf cart but sold it to me. Said he would order him another one...... You gotta love small towns;D

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I'm following this also
Wow that Painless is expensive ! But to be clear the fuse block listed has all the relays needed internally? Then hook up the listed switch panel? My wiring capability stops after radio installs.