• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Adapter housing to Dana 20 stuck

honeycoon_

Hi everyone, I'm putting my RAT 3 speed back in the Bronco, and I am a bit stuck on getting the adapter housing attached to the Dana 20. The adapter does not seem to want to slide all the way into the transfer case. It goes just enough to engage the gear inside, but then it stops.

Any advice on how to get these two together? Thank you in advance!

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The transfer case end of the spud / intermediate shaft rides on roller bearings did one of those fall out of place?

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
At any point did you take the gear off of the spud shaft?

OP
OP
honeycoon_

honeycoon_

Yeah I did so that I could put a new oil seal in but the gear is facing the right way.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Transmission output shaft pulled out? Did you lock the transmission in gear while doing this?

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you to the point where the adapter collar is making contact with the transfer case?

OP
OP
honeycoon_

honeycoon_

Yes the collar slides in a bit. The gear also engages with the gear in the transfer case, but after this everything gets stuck. I need a pry bar to remove it.

I'm probably just going to stick the adapter in the freeer and then heat up the opening in the transfer case.