• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Adding Power steering, which bracket?

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
I have a 68 Bronco 289, with a double crank pulley. I'm adding a power steering box from a 76, and I have a Thompson and Saginaw pump to choose from. Does anyone know which PS Pump bracket I will need, and which pulley I will use? The Thompson pump has the aluminum bracket, just no engine bracket. The Saginaw has an old GM bracket.

Thanks!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Most the vendors sell the Saginaw bracket that bolts to the stock bronco bracket from the water pump. Napa has the pulley for the pump. Chek if it's press on or keyed.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Some of the Saginaw brackets need to be ground on depending on which pump you have. Also make sure to get the spacer kit with the bracket

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Most the vendors sell the Saginaw bracket that bolts to the stock bronco bracket from the water pump. Napa has the pulley for the pump. Chek if it's press on or keyed.

I meant which crank pulley grove.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a 68 Bronco 289, with a double crank pulley.

Do you also have a dual-groove water pump pulley? Most '68's would have had a single crank pulley, unless maybe it came with an air-injection pump for smog. But even then, they were driven off of a dual-groove alternator pulley usually (at least the ones I've seen) so it's possible the crank pulley is non-stock.
In which case it might be a crapshoot to match. But worth a shot anyway, in case it's one of the correct ones.

I'm adding a power steering box from a 76, and I have a Thompson and Saginaw pump to choose from.

Go with the Saginaw for sure! The old Thompsons are not up to the task of four-wheeling or turning larger tires (especially in hot weather) and are hard to find replacements for and might even be hard to have rebuilt. Not sure on that last score.
But the bottom line is that the typical "canned-ham" style Saginaw typically seen on GM cars and trucks is a better overall pump. And still available.

Does anyone know which PS Pump bracket I will need...

Depends on what you got with the pump, but all of us vendors sell (I believe) the proper brackets to adapt the pump to your engine. Even adapters to mate it all up to a 351 should you ever go that route.

...and which pulley I will use?

Only a pulley made for the individual pump will fit. And there are two sizes for the Saginaw. One more common than the other.
If you mean what water pump pulley, you'll need to get one that matches the depth/offset of the crank pulley, and hopefully also matches the alignment of the brackets. No way for use to know, given the plethora of Ford pullies available. But chances are decent it's a typical "bronco" offset.
If you mean groove from the existing pulley, you'll need a matching water pump pulley and the power steering typically utilizes the outer sheave/groove with the alternator getting the inner one.
You'll know right away of course, as they're the only ones that line up typically.

Given your description, it sounds like you'll be needing some additional stuff either way.

Paul

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Do you also have a dual-groove water pump pulley? Most '68's would have had a single crank pulley, unless maybe it came with an air-injection pump for smog. But even then, they were driven off of a dual-groove alternator pulley usually (at least the ones I've seen) so it's possible the crank pulley is non-stock.
In which case it might be a crapshoot to match. But worth a shot anyway, in case it's one of the correct ones.

Go with the Saginaw for sure! The old Thompsons are not up to the task of four-wheeling or turning larger tires (especially in hot weather) and are hard to find replacements for and might even be hard to have rebuilt. Not sure on that last score.
But the bottom line is that the typical "canned-ham" style Saginaw typically seen on GM cars and trucks is a better overall pump. And still available.

Depends on what you got with the pump, but all of us vendors sell (I believe) the proper brackets to adapt the pump to your engine. Even adapters to mate it all up to a 351 should you ever go that route.

Only a pulley made for the individual pump will fit. And there are two sizes for the Saginaw. One more common than the other.
If you mean what water pump pulley, you'll need to get one that matches the depth/offset of the crank pulley, and hopefully also matches the alignment of the brackets. No way for use to know, given the plethora of Ford pullies available. But chances are decent it's a typical "bronco" offset.
If you mean groove from the existing pulley, you'll need a matching water pump pulley and the power steering typically utilizes the outer sheave/groove with the alternator getting the inner one.
You'll know right away of course, as they're the only ones that line up typically.

Given your description, it sounds like you'll be needing some additional stuff either way.

Paul

Thanks Paul. It's possible this engine was a swap at some point. Based on records, the Bronco has 155K on it, and I have to say, it runs strong with no smoke! I'm hitting the junkyard to see if I can get some brackets to make it work

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
I think I've read here that about the only Ford you're likely to find in a junkyard that ever had a Saginaw style pump mounted was in a van. So concentrate there and cross your fingers.

When all is said and done, if you're having trouble finding a potential donor, a new setup is $60 bucks: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_HD_Delphi_Steering_Pumps

Paul

Thanks! I have a Thompson pump and bracket, double crank and water pump pulley, Steering box, and 76 steering shaft. I'm planning to cut my column and mount the 76-77 rag flange on it, and use a rag joint. I'll use the Thompson box and bracket (I'm just plowing my driveway) But how does the water pump bracket go on it? Is it like the 5.0 with the studded bolts (thin bolt heads,) or does the bracket get sandwiched between the bolt head and water pump? I'm assuming the belt will run on the front pulleys (currently unused?) of the water pump and crank? What else will i need for parts other than the special PS pump bolt that goes into the head?

Attachments

• PS1.jpg
    PS1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 45
  • PS2.jpg
    PS2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 40
  • PS3.jpg
    PS3.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 41

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...But how does the water pump bracket go on it? Is it like the 5.0 with the studded bolts (thin bolt heads,) or does the bracket get sandwiched between the bolt head and water pump?

Can't remember, but pretty sure it's a stud, OR one of the accessory bolt holes that is not used to hold the pump to the cover.

I'm assuming the belt will run on the front pulleys (currently unused?) of the water pump and crank?

Yes. But as always with something like this, pulley alignment is your key. No matter what engine, whichever groove lines up with the accessory is the one to use. Sometimes this means shimming the accessory to match the pulley.

What else will i need for parts other than the special PS pump bolt that goes into the head?

Not sure. Never really messed with power steering setups much. So memory is faint in that regard. Easy for me when I'm just selling a full kit and don't have to know that stuff!;)
Someone here will know if you're missing something.

Paul

jperry1290

To rehash this thread, which is the best bracket that doesn't take a lot of hassle to make fit

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I think I've read here that about the only Ford you're likely to find in a junkyard that ever had a Saginaw style pump mounted was in a van. So concentrate there and cross your fingers.

When all is said and done, if you're having trouble finding a potential donor, a new setup is $60 bucks: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_HD_Delphi_Steering_Pumps

Paul

That steel aftermarket bracket is a lot better than the OEM aluminum one.
When I had the dealer install the A/C on mine back in '77, it was one of those where the compressor shared the power steering belt. The power steering pump bracket didn't like the belt tension for the compressor. The bracket broke.
The steel aftermarket replacement fit perfectly.