• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Adjustable track bar question

EODMike

Hi all, I have a 73 with a 2.5" suspension lift for which I have an adjustable track bar. I have it on (extended) right now, but the front driver side tire still looks to be outside of the rear although they both measure 10 3/8" from the frame. The right side tires look lined up, but they have different measurements to the frame. Is there a specific distance the track bar has to be adjusted? The front is up on jack stands, does that have an impact on measurements? Am I pushing the frame out to the tire or pulling the tire in? Thanks for any replies.

Mike

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Sit the bronco on the ground with the tires straight. Remove drag link from pitman and upper trak bar from its mount. Then center the front end under the frame. I used string hung across the frame and down each side with a nut on each end for weight. Then use the string as reference points for the front end. When its centered adjust the track bar and install. Then make sure steering box is centered, adjust drag link and put it back in the pitman. Theres always a chance the body isnt perfect on the frame. Especially if theres a body lift.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And being a '73 it should have a Dana 44 in the front and a Ford 9" in the rear. Since the 44 is wider than the 9" both front tires will stick out a little further than the rear tires.

Last edited:

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And being a '73 it should have a Dana 44 in the front and a Ford 9" in the rear. Since the 44 is wider than the 9" both front tires will stick out a little further than the rear tires.

Exactly. Front wheel extends past flare. Rear wheel is inside of flare.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
EODMike

EODMike

Sit the bronco on the ground with the tires straight. Remove drag link from pitman and upper trak bar from its mount. Then center the front end under the frame. I used string hung across the frame and down each side with a nut on each end for weight. Then use the string as reference points for the front end. When its centered adjust the track bar and install. Then make sure steering box is centered, adjust drag link and put it back in the pitman. Theres always a chance the body isnt perfect on the frame. Especially if theres a body lift.

Thank you, I will give this a shot. The body is not on if that makes a difference.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
I think once You get the body on ,all the glass ,top? roll cage?,bumpers if not on already? The track bar will need to be readjusted .So i'd get it visually close and move on till fully assembled weight .

OP
OP
EODMike

EODMike

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I am going to leave it set up as is for now since the body is off. I guess that's another project which will be "finished" later as it comes together more.

Mike