• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ADMIN - Beware of scam offering to buy your Bronco

Mikeg23

Loc.
Greenwood, IN
admin said:
I hope you chewed out the bank teller.

haha. No I didn't chew out the teller, probably because I didn't actually lose anything, however I did make sure that all the staff at the bank knew what had happened.

69patriot76

Loc.
Centralia, WA
Ditto... I had listed a '99 Dodge Ram last fall and was contacted by a "potential buyer" claiming to be a missionary... yada yada yada. Same thing with all the money, cashiers check, overage, etc... So, I figured it was a scam all along and played it out. I got the cashier's check. But this time they goofed. It was $10,000 short (exactly). So, I called the bank it was drawn on and they verified it was a fraudulent check. When I emailed them about it they came back with "please just cash it immediately and send me the funds, I can't wait for another check to be issued, as, I'm due for surgery next week..." RIGHT!!!

As for determining if one of these is a fraud, you can check the IP of the sender's email account (usually through a Yahoo account, but, there is an originating servers somewhere). Well, if you check the properties settings on the email there will be several IP addresses in there. One will be yours, one will be Yahoo (or whatever email service) and the last will be the originating IP. Copy that IP and go to WHOIS.COM. They can trace the IP to a service provider. Most of these scams originate in NIGERIA or HOLLAND and can be traced easily. Once you get that far, call the local FBI and arrange to have the check and a copy of all your emails regarding the transaction sent over to them. Oh, try not to handle the check too much... fingerprints will be taken.

Sir Bronco

Loc.
Northern Nevada
here is what I just recieved in my e mail... the funny thing is I don't have a 66 Bronco for sale???

Dear Seller,
I saw your advert and i am interested in buying your
(Ford Bronco 1966 ).I want you to tell me the actual price you want
to sell it.I will like to know more about the present
condition of it,i want you to forward the picture to
my e-mail address.If you have the pic in your e-mail
box,you can send it to my home address below..George
Luffers
RTE DE PRILLY 23,
1349 CRISSIER,
SWITZERLAND.
Tell : +412-133390010.But My Phone developed some
technical problems,i believe it will be ok soon.I am
insisting on the picture because, i must see what i
want to buy first,and method of payment will be by
certified cheque check
issued from US Bank and will surely clear.I don't want
you to worry about the shipment of it,i have a
shipping company that will take care of the
shipment.Most important,i ! need your your full name
and address in which the check for the payment will be
send to, The details needed for the payment is
bellwo:Full Name: That will be on the check for the
payment
Residential Address:
City:
State:
Zipcode:
Phone Number:
The Main reason why i am asking for this information
is so that the payment can be made out on your name
send to you fast and quick though one of the courier
companies(roymail) so i want you to mail me back with
the detail so that this transaction can start with.I
shall look forward to read from you Quick Respond.Do
remember to add along what your last asking price is
and as well want you to note at mind that the
defference in fund issued out to you by me wil have to
be re-forwarded back to the shipping comp0any whom
will be coming for the pick up at your place.

Regards...Clive

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, They've targeted me as well.........

Hello,
We(Carcall Centre) saw your ad., and we have an interested client for your car and is placing an offer of($16,800)please,acknowledge our offer,or indicate your last asking price.My client placed an offer on your vehicle after duely considering your vehicle's description however,he requested that you should provide pictures showing the various views of your vehicle including front,back,sides,interior and engine. Also, he requested that you confirm if the description of your vehicle is still the same as indicated in your ad., or, you should indicate any depreciation of any sort if any. Lastly do give us an update of the present performance condition of the vehicle so that we can able to ascertain the present condition of the vehicle and consequently proceed with transaction.
We will proceed with transaction as soon as all the above requirements are met. Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks
Philip Cole
Sales/Purchase Officer
+447040111637

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
I find it interesting that as a restorer/reseller I have never had this scam tried on me . Looking thru this thread it's obvious that individual sellers , not businesses are targeted . They obviously figure the guy trying to sell his car is more likely to get suckered where a business won't even go down that road . I find it hard to believe that as obvious a fraud as the whole thing is , anybody would even consider going along with it . All I can say if it looks too good to be true it probably isn't . Add that it's done over the internet & not face to face .... well you've got no excuse if you get screwed ! :'( :p

TPTFPS68

Loc.
Mexico, Mo
A friend that I work with, just lost 2800.00. He was contacted via email, said he won something. He bit hook, line, and sinker. They sent him a western union cashiers check to deposit, then he was to send money via a new cashiers check to someone else. He is liable to his bank for the 2800.00 check he sent. The one he deposited, was a real check, but had already been cashed, and was altered.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Didint happen to me but one of my buddies I race snowcross with was trying to sell his sled, his asking price was 1500, some guy was offering 4500, extra 3000 to cover shipping costs...TO GREECE!!!!! they dont even have snow there.... thank god he is smarter than he looks....