• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Advice on Tom's driver floor pan

fwilder

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product.php?category=37&id=1218

Hey all,

I'm cutting out the old floor pan and thinking about how to fit this Tom's pan. Has anyone done one of these? What did you trim? How did you fit it? Did you fit the side along door, over the existing lip? How far up the fire wall did you replace? Did you take the pedels out? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Fred

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Looks like that one goes up to the bend at the firewall, I'd cut to that bend then when you spot weld in up there it wont be visible at all. You will need to remove the inner fender brace bracket. On the side you are supposed to go under the lip but a lot of times floors get jacked up when removing there, especially if there has been any PO patches. I have seen them put over top before as well but it can cause some fittment issues with inserts in the long run. I took the pedals loose and tied them up. I was happy with the set I put in from them.

Looks like my pans are a little different.

Attachments

• newpans2.jpg
    newpans2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 95
  • newpans1.jpg
    newpans1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 87

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
fred, i have a brand new one in my shed if you want to look at one in person. i may even consider selling it to you and buying another one later just so i have some cash and i have one less thing to haul to houston.

OP
OP
F

fwilder

Thanks Ben, but I've go one. I just wanted to know what strategy people have taken.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
the last one i did i overlapped the sheet metal at the tunnel. it looks cleaner if you can butt the 2 pieces of sheet together and weld them, but it's a lot more work and your cuts have to be pretty precise.

commoncold

I'd have to suggest leaving a lip of the old metal sticking out about...o... 1/2-1 inch. It is more sturdy and your cuts don't have to be exact. I still haven't got mine in yet because I can't get the dam rusty accelerator pedal out of the way, is there some magical way to do this? %)

OP
OP
F

fwilder

I took mine out yesterday. There are 3 bolts holding it to the firewall. Each has a bolt on the engine side that you will need to get a wrench on. I was able to do it by myself, but it was a pain. Another set of hands will be a huge help. Then all you should need to do is un hood the clip for the linkage.