• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aftermarket Heads on Stock Short Block 351w?

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Alright I am still trying to figure it all out, hey if I'm gonna shell out a bunch of cash, do it right, right?
Anyways I am still considering all my options and am looking at this one now, would basically end up the same cost as the 2v crate 351w motor but I think with more balls than that.

Here is what I am considering...rebuilt short block 351w and slap on some aftermarket heads like the afr's with a roller rocker setup. I am sure it will have some umph with that setup but my only concerns are with compression and compatibility.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
That is the way that I would do it. Overall the best approach. Compression is just a matter of matching the head chamber volume to the pistons for the rebuild. Compatibility would be no problem. The only real thing is to make sure that the valve springs in the heads will work for the type of cam you are planning on using.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You need to know the volume of the piston dish/notches of the short block. It is amazing that a few ccs make for noticable changes in compression ratio.

Compatibility will depend on what head you finally pick. Some have raised valve cover flanges which make for a tight fit to the master cylinder (trickflow) but allow for standard valve covers instead of the tall ones. Ports are generally in the correct location unless you get some monster race head.