• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

aftermarket heads

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Thinking about buying a set of aftermarket heads for my 5.0 but I am wondering how much performance I can see for the money?

I have am 88 mustang motor with 10k miles, explorer upper and lower with explorer 65mm throttle body. Duffs long tube headers as well.

any advice would be helpful.

thanks Ben

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Depending on how much you want to spend, the AFR aluminum heads are some of the best. If you want to stay under 1K, look for some GT-40 iron heads. Don't get the GT-40P heads though, these require special headers because the spark plugs come staight out of the head rather than at an angle. I've read that the iron GT-40 heads are about a 20 to 40 HP bolt on upgrade depending on the rest of your set up.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Most of the gains will be in the upper RPM range but you should still see some on the lowend just not all that much.

4jrfox

Loc.
Houston
I have a 97 5.0 "Ford Racing" will tallk to you directly about the upgrading of your setup. They told me change the cam, E303, I have the p-heads and a good gear. I can burn all the way I have 35" and a AOD automatic. I just upped my gears to 5:13. I havent tested this yet. When I do the burn out competition I'll be running 12" Goodyear Slicks. I dont know about winning but it should be a gas! BURN! "Ford Racing" great group of guys there to help! Call 586-468-1356 (Ps. @ 65mph. I'm running 2400 rpm's)