• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aftermarket Reverse Lights

EB70

Contributor
I am attempting to make my 70 more daily driver friendly. It is used for mainly sand and snow and other stuff. No rock bashing. I have stock bumpers and am keeping them.

Here is my question: What type of add on lights are you using back there for reverse/night lights? I am going to use them on a switch, and I want LED. I bought some LED truck lights that I was going to cut into the bumper, but they are not bright enough (may have bought the wrong ones etc) so I didn't cut them in.

There is the pod LED light idea, but are pretty thick. I don't mind welding to, or cutting the OEM bumper. I don't think it is a good idea to hang them under the bumper.

Thank for any ideas. Have a great day!

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have these which are similar and very happy with them not to mention budget friendly. Installed in 2018 and still going strong. They are not going to light up a sand dune at 100 yards, but will do great when in a tight spot and need a good spread of light.

A few pics. Good luck !

Attachments

• IMG_2501.jpg
    IMG_2501.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2499.jpg
    IMG_2499.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2500.jpg
    IMG_2500.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2502.jpg
    IMG_2502.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 41

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I did something similar.. Tolrons lights (Off shore)
I have wired them to a switch, to the reverse circuit, and a 3 way switch so on with either source or off all together.

Attachments

• IMG_20220911_181923821.jpg
    IMG_20220911_181923821.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20220911_181953811_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220911_181953811_HDR.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20220911_182002340_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220911_182002340_HDR.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20220913_164739963_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220913_164739963_HDR.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 29

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I'm putting these lights in both my front and rear bumper and should work like a charm:

They do come with mounts so you could put them under your bumper as well. They did come with a full harness and small, perfect sized, switch that I plan to put on the dash bottom edge.

OP
OP
E

EB70

Contributor
https://www.amazon.com/Flush-Mount-YCHOW-TECH-Lights-Work/dp/B07W2X3D1Y/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2HNXPSPTD65VY&keywords=LED+flush+mount+lights&qid=1673357947&s=automotive&sprefix=led+flush+mount,automotive,1289&sr=1-6&th=1

Naturally, after I post the question I see these. I'd like something that looks pretty clean back there. Hmm...
I have these which are similar and very happy with them not to mention budget friendly. Installed in 2018 and still going strong. They are not going to light up a sand dune at 100 yards, but will do great when in a tight spot and need a good spread of light.

[/URL]

A few pics. Good luck !
Those look pretty good. Thank you!

OP
OP
E

EB70

Contributor
I'm putting these lights in both my front and rear bumper and should work like a charm:
[/URL]

They do come with mounts so you could put them under your bumper as well. They did come with a full harness and small, perfect sized, switch that I plan to put on the dash bottom edge.
I like those. The issue though is how they hang under the bumper. There is very little real estate to put them on the top because of the width of the tailgate. One fairly clean way to mount the pod type is to drill right into the corner of the body and put the bolt through. Just not sure I want to do that. It would work though.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Not sure what type of tire carrier you are running? Or may not be for that matter. But if you are, I have seen quite a few guys make a removeable mount and add a light to the middle of the spare tire carrier. You could also mount one below the carrier but again, would probably need to make a mount.

OP
OP
E

EB70

Contributor
Not sure what type of tire carrier you are running? Or may not be for that matter. But if you are, I have seen quite a few guys make a removeable mount and add a light to the middle of the spare tire carrier. You could also mount one below the carrier but again, would probably need to make a mount.
No tire carrier with a stock bumper. That is the issue, and I would rather not have it look too bad, like an afterthought. If this was an aftermarket bumper or tire carrier this would be easy. But when you look at the length, the area between the bumper end and the tailgate there is little room. If you hang anything underneath, the first snow bank I back into (this could happen in my yard) and it is broken.

I think I am going to put something on the flat part of the bumper and mount it flush. Should be ordering this week.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I like those. The issue though is how they hang under the bumper. There is very little real estate to put them on the top because of the width of the tailgate. One fairly clean way to mount the pod type is to drill right into the corner of the body and put the bolt through. Just not sure I want to do that. It would work though.
Yeah, that's why the bumper is being cut to put them inside, like this:
1673454650178.png

Protofab used to do this, not sure why they stopped.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
No tire carrier with a stock bumper. That is the issue, and I would rather not have it look too bad, like an afterthought. If this was an aftermarket bumper or tire carrier this would be easy. But when you look at the length, the area between the bumper end and the tailgate there is little room. If you hang anything underneath, the first snow bank I back into (this could happen in my yard) and it is broken.

I think I am going to put something on the flat part of the bumper and mount it flush. Should be ordering this week.
Yeah, I figured that was the issue. Really is little room for a back up light in that area.

I am in the process of figuring out what new bumpers I am going to and what LED lights will be added to them. This thread has helped.
Man, I love the look of the TBP bumpers but damn shipping would kill me....

Alot of flush mounted LED on the market now.