• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aftermarket steering shaft

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
Is there any advantage to using a piece of Doube D stock over a splined piece? Just looking at cost difference

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To mate up to what? Are you replacing a stock early style 1-piece shaft, or are you working with a later setup? Aftermarket or stock steering column?

Both work very well and I'm not aware of any issues with either. I really like the Double-D design, and it does lend itself very well to mating up to a stock early shaft, but I don't know if one is actually "better" than the other.
But as far as collapsible 2-piece shafts go, that's the only real flavor you can work with.

So the advantage (aside from cost then) would come down to what's easier to work into your scheme.

Whatcha working with?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well that's a well-supported combination at least. Not sure the best way to save money other than to find a compatible section of collapsible shaft at the junkyard on a GM vehicle of some sort.
Ours will run you about 225 or so (http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_Steering_Shafts), including the two halves (3/4" and 1" DD), the two yokes (u-joints) and the boot and spring. But if you can find an existing OE application using the same combination that's still in good shape, I'm sure it would be much less expensive.

Not sure what your other options are frankly. Didn't know you could even get splined shaft stock. And not sure you'd really want to. If you're going to go to the trouble of making your own from aftermarket parts, you might as well go collapsible (slipping the two sizes inside one another) for safety, and all the normal stuff is DD anyway.
And since you can't mate up just a shaft, you need a yoke at each end, or a rag-joint at the upper end at least. Which is where the money goes anyway. The shafts are cheap compared to the yokes.

Good luck though. Let us know which way you end up going.

Paul

OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
Thanks, the local hot road ship offers a piece of spliced stock, double d stock and a collapsible double d. I may have to make a trip to the junk yard. I've been quoted from between 185 and 225 for the shaft. Just want to check all the options before I buy haha. Thanks

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I made my lower shaft from Flaming River U joints and shaft and it was pretty expensive - over $225 if I recal correctly. So if someone will make it for $185 - $225 I would take it. All i had to do was measure one thing wrong and you wipe out an $80 piece of shaft.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have the WH shaft. For the money you can't beat it.
Colapsible with torsion spring to reduce vibration. Excellent joints. Nice dust boot. Cool coating.
Don't have to make anything, and no risk.
I put it off for too long. Excellent product.