• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aftermarket Tire Carrier?

turtle

Loc.
Louisville, KY
Don't have a tire carrier on my EB. I've thought about a new bumper with a carrier but its a bit pricey.

I've seen tire carriers that connect to the reciever hitch ('Hidden Hitch' around $100). Anyone have this on their truck? Would appreciate pictures if available.

Thanks

70 sport WA

Contributor
I've seen tire carriers that connect to the reciever hitch ('Hidden Hitch' around $100). Anyone have this on their truck? Would appreciate pictures if available.

I actually thought about that at one time...but the things really stick out far and look awkward, not to say the things could even hold a 33" tire. You'll also have problems ever getting into the back tail/liftgates with something like that mounted.

I went with Protofab's classic rear bumper with tire rack and am very happy. Something like $425 but there aren't many bumper-mounted tire carriers for less.

Dan

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
Why not build your own? Then you have what you want and you can make it strong enough for the tire you want. You could use a hinge like this and weld your swing arm to it.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
These guys build a better hinge, just don't know if they sell them separately anymore.

http://sleeoffroad.com/

Also, you could build one that comes out of your receiver pretty easy, just keep it close to the body as you go up. Or hinge the bottom and drill holes so you can pin it up, or unpin to get into the back.

J.D.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The problem with most of the swing outs is the bouncy ride on the freeway. I took mine off the factory swing and mounted it on top of the fender well. Bolted a piece of channel iron to the roll bar to bolt it to. Takes up no floor space. Really cleaned up the back of the car.

OP
OP
turtle

turtle

Loc.
Louisville, KY
The problem with most of the swing outs is the bouncy ride on the freeway. I took mine off the factory swing and mounted it on top of the fender well. Bolted a piece of channel iron to the roll bar to bolt it to. Takes up no floor space. Really cleaned up the back of the car.

I like that idea. Is there still room for the back seat? What size tire is mounted (will 33 fit?)

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I like that idea. Is there still room for the back seat? What size tire is mounted (will 33 fit?)

The seat fit is unknown. The tire does extend out past the edge of the wheel well a bit. I have 32"s and there is at least 1.5" between the tire and the headliner so a 33 should fit. What I did was to bolt a piece of 1-3/4" unistrut 18" long to the outside of the single hoop roll bar using long 3/8" bolts and unistrut nuts. (bolted both to the hoop and the back leg) Then take a piece of 3/8" all thread attached to the unistrut with another unistrut nut to run through the wheel center hole. I used the factory rear spare hold down disc and big wing nut to secure it. Nice thing about this is that now you can carry two spares.;) on on each side. The only downside is if you put one on the passenger side it makes for a really bad blind spot.:eek:

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
These guys build a better hinge, just don't know if they sell them separately anymore.

http://sleeoffroad.com/
J.D.

I liked that hinge so I emailed them about it. They said that their supplier discontinued the spindle and he bought all the remaining stock for their bumpers and isn't selling any unless it is with the bumper/carrier combo. So that hinge is outta the question in a build your own.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
That's what I was figurin since he removed the DIY section of the website.

Really, anyone with machining skilz could put one together pretty easy. You just need some ID's of bearings, a couple shoulders and a threaded end. I'd even be happy to reverse engineer mine, with something a little different thrown in.

J.D.

trlblazr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mesa AZ
Why not build your own? Then you have what you want and you can make it strong enough for the tire you want. You could use a hinge like this and weld your swing arm to it.

I am now considering building a rear bumper with a tier carrier. If you weld something to this hinge, would it not warp the ID of the barring diameters? I think you would have to weld, and then machine the IDs Am I missing something, has anyone tried this?

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I would also like to see the inside tire mount. May test fit mine when I get home.