• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aftermarket Volt gauge in stock cluster

camp9k

So I am off work for a bit after a lower back fusion and cant do any heavy wrenching for a couple months and totally bored. I really like the look of the stock speedos but hate the amp gauge and the idea of looping that old thick wire through the firewall behind the amp gauge.
I know they sell volt gauges that fit the stock clusters but like I said, I bored. I read a few articles on using other gauges and retrofitting them to work. After looking at a bunch of gauges, IMO thought the two below looked the best in the bronco. The VDO ended at 16v and the sun pro 18v. The VDO showed up first so it was my first test.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vdo-332103

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sun-cp8215

I have a few old clusters around so I picked my worst one and this is my fist attempt of an install.

Attachments

• stock.jpg
    stock.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 122
OP
OP
camp9k

camp9k

I first disassembled the cluster.

Attachments

• diss.jpg
    diss.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 111
OP
OP
camp9k

camp9k

I decided I wanted to install the VDO gauge whole and adjust the bronco housing. I marked out the housing to get the gauge to fit.

Attachments

• marked 4 gauge.jpg
    marked 4 gauge.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
camp9k

camp9k

Since in a little lazy I used a plasma cutter to trim a bit and finished it off with a half round file.

Attachments

• plasma.jpg
    plasma.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 71
  • file.jpg
    file.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
camp9k

camp9k

My challenge was finding a spacer between the housing and the speedo head that matched the distance of the rest of the stock gauges. After looking around the garaged I found that a Teflon tape cover with a little trimming of the inside lip on one side worked perfect.

Attachments

• spacer.jpg
    spacer.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 49
  • spacerinstall.jpg
    spacerinstall.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
camp9k

camp9k

Installed it through the housing and reversed the white mounting ring and tightened up.

Attachments

• installedback.jpg
    installedback.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 65
  • assemorder.jpg
    assemorder.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 56

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Keep it going this looks like fun! I hate my volt meter sticking under the dash like a high school kid.

OP
OP
camp9k

camp9k

All the gauges now matched distance and I was ready to installed the speedo head.

Attachments

• installed front.jpg
    installed front.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 171
OP
OP
camp9k

camp9k

I quickly re-assembled the speedo and pretty happy with the position…I may grind the opening more on the outside of the housing next time to see the Volt wording better? I will be completely be restoring a whole unit for my 73 with this volt gauge and will post a pic when done. Any ideas, comments or suggestions are appreciated…

Thanks
John

Attachments

• completed.jpg
    completed.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 194

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Any ideas, comments or suggestions are appreciated…

Sure. Keep the theme going by adding temp, fuel and pressure gauges from the same manufacturer, so the lettering/shape match on all four.
Assuming that is that they have matching gauges.

Always liked VDO stuff. The fact that it fits the housing is cool. Bit of work obviously, but high on the cool list.

Paul

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Camp my gauge cluster is in the mail to you, looks great
I pulled a volt meter out of a late model ford truck and will be trying to fit that in the housing. But yours looks a little easier

OP
OP
camp9k

camp9k

Sure. Keep the theme going by adding temp, fuel and pressure gauges from the same manufacturer, so the lettering/shape match on all four.
Assuming that is that they have matching gauges.

Always liked VDO stuff. The fact that it fits the housing is cool. Bit of work obviously, but high on the cool list.

Paul

I like that idea! This is probably when a simple idea goes bad, but I'll bite!

Thanks
John

OP
OP
camp9k

camp9k

k...so I put together a better looking gauge with other parts and moved the volt gauge out a bit more...IMO looks better. I added some led lights and the first pic is bronco gauge lights only and the next pic is adding the vdo light.

Thanks
John

Attachments

• good gauge.jpg
    good gauge.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 115
  • bronco lights.jpg
    bronco lights.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 124
  • broncovdolioghts.jpg
    broncovdolioghts.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 130

clarrance

Bronco Guru
I quickly re-assembled the speedo and pretty happy with the position…I may grind the opening more on the outside of the housing next time to see the Volt wording better? I will be completely be restoring a whole unit for my 73 with this volt gauge and will post a pic when done. Any ideas, comments or suggestions are appreciated…

Thanks
John

You might want to remove this picture, before someone goes on a shopping spree.