• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Air Hammer Made Short Work of Body Mounts

u10072

Bronco Guru
Hello All,
I Just removed a set of original body mounts and always used the saws-all approach---- WELL NO MORE!!!! ;D Saws-all blades are about $3 a piece now and its easy to kill 5 or 6 doing body bushings. Well I sharpened up the air hammer cutting bit-- destroyed the rubber-- made short work of the sleeve-- all 8 bushings were out in about 25 minutes! The bolts did come out but the air hammer killed the rubber taking it off making the use of the saws-all much easier as thats what kills the blade half the time. For future reference use that air hammer on the old body mount bushings!

Matt

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
That is exactly the technique I use. Air chisel the rubber off the mount and cut the sleeve with a sawzall. Quick and painless.

chuck489

Loc.
Dahlonega, GA
That is what I used also. Of course I got lucky...two bushings were missing, and three more just fell out. I only had issues with three of them, but the air chisel made short work of them.

barronj

Bronco Guru
In every thread about removing the body bushings, I tell about how easy it was with my air chisel. Everyone else is talking about the wonder of the sawzall... I drilled the tops of my worn down body bolts off & air chiseled everything right through the bottom, all while in a comfortable position in the tub. I can't imagine why sitting on the ground, underneath the bronco with a sawzall, spitting metal/rubber/dust, would be a better scenario. Rarely does anyone else chime in about the air hammer/chisel; I'm shocked there are so many respondents in this thread ;D

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Learned something new today! Chisel off the rubber makes sence cause it is a bitch to cut thru with the saw. Thanks

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
In every thread about removing the body bushings, I tell about how easy it was with my air chisel. Everyone else is talking about the wonder of the sawzall... I drilled the tops of my worn down body bolts off & air chiseled everything right through the bottom, all while in a comfortable position in the tub. I can't imagine why sitting on the ground, underneath the bronco with a sawzall, spitting metal/rubber/dust, would be a better scenario. Rarely does anyone else chime in about the air hammer/chisel; I'm shocked there are so many respondents in this thread ;D

I did it pretty much the same as you but instead of drilling the bolt heads I cut a "X" it the head with a cut off wheel and air hammered the heads off. Then the bolts came out real easy. Took about 1/2 hour.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
you guys with fancy tools, I used a vice grip and ripped the rubber out, then cut.

OP
OP
u10072

u10072

Bronco Guru
;D;DWell I have done about 8 sets of body bushings and this is the first time I ever did a set and used the air hammer... GENIUS !!!!;D So much better than that rubber burning, knuckle killer -sawsall! The saws all is a must if the bolts are in there but destroying the old mount with the air hammer is so mucb better.

On a secondary side note-- If you are doing mounts-- do it wll all the parts bolted up like the hard top, cage, fenders on, grill -- because that body is a taco in waiting if you ask me. If everthing is out and your door gaps are good I HIGHLY recommend waiting putting the cage in or the top and then do the mount. If thats not possible I suggest closing the doors and building a sub structure to hold everything square and I still say don't do it. No top, no cage no doors and your door gaps are gonna be off by alot!

Thats my $2 worth ;D