• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Alice mod and LEDs

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Likely going to do the Alice Mod on my 74. I want to go with the clear marker lenses, so I was thinking about using Amber LEDs.

Are these plug and play with the 66-68 marker lights and stock wires? Anything else I need to change out?

http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=1338

I don't recall needing to do anything different wiring wise on my side marker lights when I switched to LED. Now the turn signals are a different story.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
DDMtuning linked by KyleQ has LED replacements for most automotive bulbs, and the correct flashers to make them work. Don't forget to change the Emergency flasher also. I did front, rear and side all from DDM, very pleased with the look and brightness.

bstein

I did our 74 1/2 cab. with clear lens and LED, did the rear tail lights as well. Used a clear bulb with clear lens. I didnt want to a amber bulb as it would look like a egg yoke thru the lens. Very happy !!!! Changed the relay with the system

SeanT4x4

I just swapped all my lights to LEDs as well. Went with clear lens with white LED 1157s in the front turn signals. Really happy with how it looks now. I think with LEDs you want to have the bulb colored the same as the lens that houses it.

I went with these because i felt like it would light up the entire housing better:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G1YF068/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#

Also I was reluctant to wire in load resistors but after trying two different supposed led flashers and neither working, I still had to do it.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Here's my Alice mod with clear lens and Amber bulb.

Attachments

• 20140720_150103.jpg
    20140720_150103.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 346
OP
OP
g8rb8t

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
miikee73 where'd you get your bulbs from? Looks great!

707Bronk

DDMtuning linked by KyleQ has LED replacements for most automotive bulbs, and the correct flashers to make them work. Don't forget to change the Emergency flasher also. I did front, rear and side all from DDM, very pleased with the look and brightness.

Is the reason you have to get the correct flashers due to the new LEDs never drawing enough to operate the flasher? Or will the stock flashers burn out the LED's?

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Is the reason you have to get the correct flashers due to the new LEDs never drawing enough to operate the flasher? Or will the stock flashers burn out the LED's?

The stock type flashers require a resistance load to work, they will never flash with LEDs. The electronic flashers flash at the same rate regardless of load.

707Bronk

The stock type flashers require a resistance load to work, they will never flash with LEDs. The electronic flashers flash at the same rate regardless of load.

Thats what I was thinking, just wondering if that was all that needed to be changed, and why. I already have the electronic flashers, but didn't get them for this mod, they just seemed more reliable.

Is that why you see some LED kits with resistors? Is that to get around swapping the flashers? Seems a silly way to go if so.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
miikee73 where'd you get your bulbs from? Looks great!

Wish I could remember ,it was WH i think. Kit had turn,tail and clearance. Already had a electronic flasher so the resistors that came in the kit was a waste of money. The pic doesn't do the turn signals justice.

SeanT4x4

That does look pretty slick. Anybody have pics of any other color variations?

I can snap a pic of my clear lens white LED bulb configuration tonight. I'm not sure if there is a law that states front turn signals are supposed to be amber or not. So may be something to look into. I figured my chances of getting pulled over for that were pretty minimal.

SeanT4x4

So here is the white lens, white LED.

I think the white is brighter than the amber or something because in reality I can see a pattern similar to the amber ones above. The kind of circular shape of the diodes placed on the bulb.

Also threw in the tail lights just for funzies. Same style bulb as the front but red LED instead of white. All in all, I'm happy with how it looks. Much better than the incandescent bulbs. I'm sure not as nice as the vendor sold tail lights. But at $20 for the pair it was worth it.

Attachments

• IMAG0364.jpg
    IMAG0364.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMAG0365.jpg
    IMAG0365.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 141

SeanT4x4

Actually looks like the light coming into the garage was screwing up the pic. Here's a better one right after i finished the mod, lights off though.

Attachments

• IMAG0359.jpg
    IMAG0359.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 131

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Does anyone have a part number for the electronic flasher?

I can't remember which one I picked up the last time. Little fuse perhaps?

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Somebody is selling tail lights made specifically for the EBs and old 150 tail lights

An entire board of LEDs

Can't remember who