• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

alternator, ps, valve cover questions

spixican07

Loc.
Houston
Reposting this from chat forum...

My bronco died today while I was driving it. I recently installed a vintage air kit and I guess my motorcraft alternator can't keep up? anyone else had any problems with this? Do y'all know what the stock power draw is (lights, ignition, etc)?

When I pushed it into a lot I turned the wheel after the engine was off and my PS pump spewed fluid all under the hood, is this normal?

I get so many compliments on the way it looks but I can't seem to keep the stupid thing running :cry:

One last thing -- I have some of those script bronco valve covers that everyone sells but I get tons of oil sprayed out of there. I have enough PCV that when its idling there is airflow into the valve cover, not out. I think its just a rocker arm pushing it out? Any suggestions?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sounds like the alternator or regulator is bad. But the stock alternator doesnt put out very much usually its about 42 amps you have to check the case its usually stamped into the case of how much it puts out. Some broncos came with 60 amp alternators. Usually just lights, igntion, and a A/C shouldnt draw enough to kill the battery.

The P/S spewing can happen when the wheel is turned with the engine off. Especailly if the wheel was cranked when it died.

As for your valve covers its probably blow by you may have enough flow at idle but once the engine is reved there is more blow by than the PVC system can handle.

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Stock power draw is about 20-25 amps with headlights on. The air kit could add another 25-50amps to that (dont know)

If you are looking for reliablity, I would start looking at a 3G conversion.

OP
OP
S

spixican07

Loc.
Houston
the valve covers have whatever baffles come in them stock, but i'm pretty sure you can see straight down into the heads.

how do you size the PCV other than at idle?

I was looking at getting a bigger alternator -- what is a 3g conversion?

Dan76

I just put a 100amp alternator on from a 79 F250 with a 460. Super simple!