• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

alternator

andy

Loc.
Charleston
just went for a quick spin in my 74 had to jump off in the beginning got back turned it off and then it wouldnt crank again either what is the best way to tell if the alternator is working or not?

?:?

77BroncoWag

Bronco Guru
take it off and have it tested at a autoparts store
Schucks/Checker does it for free so I'd guess everyone else does too.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Use a volt meter and start motor it should be putting out 13.5 to 14 volts if not then you can jump the voltagr reg. and if you get a charge then you will need a new voltage reg. and will be good to go good luck.%) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

JMurray

I was told a long time ago you could check your alternator by lightly holding a long screwdriver just behind the rear bearing on the alternator. Hold it about a quarter of an inch away, if it gets pulled onto the bearing ( by magnetic force), its working.
I cant vouch for the accuracy, because every alternator I have tried this to has been working. But the thoery seems plausible.
Jerry

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p Unplug the volt reg and jump the plug from batt to fld. and start motor and if you have a good reading then your alt is working and your reg. is bad good luck.%) %) %) Bill :cool: %)

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
hi idle

Anything less than 12.6 at high idle and you are not charging. The nominal voltage of the batteries is 12.3, and to charge, there should be 13 volts or better. Anything in the high 14's, and you are overcharging.
I had an auto-electric shop "pump up" my small case Ford altrnator years ago to about 90 amps and it worked great. Lights, winch, etc. Now I have 3G, and that is even better.

-J

Landshark

Loc.
California
Everyone's given great advice, but also remember to check
the amps. It might still put out 13.8 volts, but the amps need to be checked too. Not only at an idle, but higher speed too.

OP
OP
A

andy

Loc.
Charleston
just installed new alternator and volt regulator. checked readings and still inly getting 12.6 or so at battery? whats wrong now?