• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aluminum Body Tub Poll

Would you buy an aluminum body bronco tub?

• Yes

Votes: 73 82.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 18.0%

• Total voters

jn2630

Loc.
Silverthorne, CO
I would really like to see the Aluminum Body Tub thing (click here to view the previous thread) to come through, so to better gague the interest, I've set up a poll.

the fool

it would be cool to be able to get a set of thick aluminum floor boards that have the ribs in them

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Like was said in the previous thread, I think it all comes down to cost. I can tell you that I have a spare frame on the sideyard and starting with a BRAND NEW NEVER GONNA RUST tub would be a real nice thing. I know there is fiber out there but I wouldnt want my whole vehicle made of it. If the price is anywhere near the price of fiber I think it would go over very well. Hell, maybe a new company would start up building them from scratch like those FJ's that Icon makes. Put a nice deisel in it with custom order axles and full front/rear 4 link....blah blah blah.

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
I just briefly read the other thread. Sounds like there would be too many changes too it and it wouldn't be authentic, changing the wheel wells, changing the ribs in the floors.... So based on that I gotta vote NO.

I wish I would have gone new tub when I put the work into mine a year or two ago, but I would want the new tub to have all the same imperfections the stock tub did. And it would have to be prices around that of the fiberglass tub.

If price was reasonable and it was the same style then I would say yes.

But I think I would prefer fiberglass as its easier to repair. But Alum would be nice and lightweight.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Without a cost to associate with the poll I don't think the results will tell much. I just find it hard to believe that 85% of Bronco owners would replace the steel tub at all. Probably more like 10% that would and more like 5% if it's cheaper to do fiberglass instead. Or perhaps the only ones responding to the poll are those that would buy one. Either way the numbers don't look right.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
How can someone vote without knowing the price?
If it's $2000.00 and like factory - sure I'd like one
If it's $3000.00 and not like factory, sorry - no.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I agree. I can't vote yes on this without an associated cost.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Price wise guys, these things are going to be in the 4000-5K range...FACE IT...with the higher end being more likely. Look at the cost of the Jeep and FJ tubs. Its pretty obvious that its not going to be cheap, but as most things, you get what you pay for. There is no way you would ever spend less than that on a NEW steel tub nowdays, so why expect an aluminum tub to cost less. I think its great, I know it would sell. Realistically, for me, I shouldnt be in the market again for a tub [fingers crossed]. I hope that I never forced to replace it after all the work, time and money that is going into it now. IF I did have to replace it though, I would definitely spring for aluminum. Being that I am not in the market, I will not vote, however.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
They sound nice and I would like one but the cost would keep me from ever goiing that route, plus I would have to buy a tig welder so I could fix all the trail scars and make mods. What do you think a complete reproduction SS or galvanized tub would cost? I would be more inclined to purchase one of those if the quality was there, I recently purchased one for a flat fender Willy'z that I am rebuilding for my father.

benkokes

No WAY would I ever buy an Aluminum tub! Just because it doesnt rust, doesnt mean it will not corrode!.. If you keep the maint up on your beastie, it will last a hell of a long time. I just got done installing and welding in new plates for rusted areas. they are all painted and ready to go and I expect them to last several years before I even need to check em...

YMMV,
-Ben

Dogdare

Are there even aluminum alloys available that will seriously resist galling? I think that would be a serious problem for those of us who like to play on tthe rocks.

Herb

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
heck yeah, i'd be up for an alum tub. SS would be even cooler, but the price would be outrageous. i'd spring 4k on a tub if it's not wavy gravy and ready for prep/paint. hey, even give options for cut/uncut quarters and you'd be good to go. yes, it can corrode, especially galvanically- but it is much better than steel could ever hope to be. btw, the orig tubs had a lot of galvanized metal in them. all these replacement metal parts aren't and won't last half as long- if the conditions are the same.

Potshot

The cost is a little creepy, but maybe that could be mitigated by being able to pick from aluminum sub-assemblies? I'm not familiar enough with EB bodies but that might be an interesting manufacturing option...

Sasquatch

My vote is yes, I'd buy one. Living in a day and age where the average persons wheels and tires are worth more than their retirement and net worth, I know they will sell. I know I'm not the onlyone out here who tries to order a newly introduced part only to find its backordered forever because of the demand. Remember the Cage arms when they were new?? Now that people have them, many will replace them when the next new ones come out for a grand. Too many EB'rs will unregretfully spend 5g's of their kids college funds for an AL tub. Besides, it will last a lifetime just like their education %) SB

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
Of course I am interested. Alot of folks are afraid to commit to an aluminum tub because they do not know the cost. The manufacturer is afraid to commit to producing it because they don't know if there is a demand.

I think the poll should be whether an aluminum body should be produced. This provides yet another option to all of us in the future, much like the jeep and landcrusier guys.

Many seem to be confused at what "modifications" I suggested in the other thread. I think a stock aluminum tub is the best design. If it would be too expensive to be feasible to most of the EB community, what "slight modifications" to the overall design would be acceptable, by most, that could help lower the cost. THAT was my point.

Thanks for keeping this alive.

SteveR77

Loc.
Greenbrier,Arkansas
Stock design would be nice but people who would probably purchase one would be the modified group as long as it resembled a bronco. Someone who is restoring one back to original would want to go with steel. Just my opinion for what it's worth!!!%) Steve P.S> I vote YES;D