• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aluminum Plate with vin info where did it come from

4xmatt

I bought my first EB and the previous owner gave me this aluminum plate with vin info on it. It looks like it has glue on the back like it was stuck on the vehicle somewhere. Where should this be? I have a good vin on the glove box and the door jam that match. 97CAC179-D3F5-49D5-91F0-1634828BB76A_1_201_a.jpeg

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
What do you know of the history of the truck? That looks to me like the tag that would have been on the driver side kick panel from an early one. Have you looked for the VIN on the frame (passenger side, above the starter, kind of below the passenger floor/firewall)?
If your glove box and doorjamb match, maybe that's the tag from a swapped frame? Does the VIN on your body plates match the one in the picture? If not, I would think it's the VIN of your frame, unless you know otherwise.
That said, there are guys on here that known this stuff way better than me. Someone will chime in with better info.

mebco09

What do you know of the history of the truck? That looks to me like the tag that would have been on the driver side kick panel from an early one. Have you looked for the VIN on the frame (passenger side, above the starter, kind of below the passenger floor/firewall)?
If your glove box and doorjamb match, maybe that's the tag from a swapped frame? Does the VIN on your body plates match the one in the picture? If not, I would think it's the VIN of your frame, unless you know otherwise.
That said, there are guys on here that known this stuff way better than me. Someone will chime in with better info.
I would agree with all of the above, except where are the rivet holes? I've never seen a plate stuck on with adhesive.

I wonder if that is a repop tag from Marti that someone ordered.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is the adhesive new or used?
If used the tag may have come from the original owner’s book.
I forget what they are called. The glovebox version is a “warranty plate” and the door decal is a “certification label” but the one in the book escapes me.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes those fall out of the warranty book all the time. You probably found it laying in the glove box? I have had several over the years.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes those fall out of the warranty book all the time. You probably found it laying in the glove box? I have had several over the years.
That. They continued to use those plates well in to the late 70s. The dealer had a swipe machine (think old style credit card imprinter) that they ran those plates on to fill out their service records.

Last edited:

Me2carcrazy1

Contributor
I have a 1976. I have a similar plate still glued to the original "Owner Card - Warranty Identification Card". The card was to be presented to the dealer for all warranty service. It's a fun piece to have but I think by now my warranty has run out, right?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe not. Did you get one of them thar "extended warrantee" things at the time? They talk about 10-year warranties nowadays, but what about Ford's limited-time-only 50-year warranty?:eek:Yowza!
You might check...;)

Paul

OP
OP

4xmatt

Thank you all. I believe now that it is in fact the Warranty Identification Card attachment that likely came stuck in the owners book originally.