• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Am I measuring this lift correctly?

ngsd

Bronco Guru
I am trying to determine what lift this is. I see from previous posts that you measure top of tube to bottom of frame but wanted to see if I am doing this right. If so this is a 5 inch lift? Does anyone recognize this lift?

Attachments

• lift measure.jpg
    lift measure.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 89
  • lift measure 2.jpg
    lift measure 2.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 83
  • lift measure 3.jpg
    lift measure 3.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 81
  • lift measure 4.jpg
    lift measure 4.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 76

oldiron

Bronco Guru
Those look a lot like 78-79 springs. I used a set and it put mine at 5 inches lift. I removed them immediately and still have them on the shelf.

oldiron

Bronco Guru
And i believe the posted measurements are for complete vehicles. No drivetrain or body may skew the numbers.

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Bronco Guru
And i believe the posted measurements are for complete vehicles. No drivetrain or body may skew the numbers.

I was also wondering that as well. I did measure before the body was off and it was a half inch lower.

Digger556

Without a fully dressed vehicle sitting on those springs, you won't get an accurate number.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
It looks to me like the rear doesn't have any blocks on it, is that true?

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hard to know the pedigree on those springs. They're fat with not a lot of active coils so they're stiff as someone else mentioned. I'd guess Superlift or K Bar S. I was curious as to what was out back so maybe we'd have an idea on the amount of lift.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Bronco Guru
Thanks Todd. They are going to come out as I only want to do a 3.5 lift on this but was just curious as to what I had here.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If the yellow wasn't still so bright, they could even be old Rough Country springs!:eek:
But yeah, at only a 1/2" change, those were likely some stiff suckers just like they look.
When you say they only came up half an inch, was that with just the body on before, or was that with it fully assembled with engine and all the other stuff?

Did the Bronco sit level before? Looks like the only thing that could be in the rear springs is an add-a-leaf and those were typically only good for 2 to 2.5 inches for the thick ones, and only 1 to 1.5 inches for the thin ones.
Be interested to see another angle on the leaf springs from down low looking at the leaves.

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Bronco Guru
If the yellow wasn't still so bright, they could even be old Rough Country springs!:eek:
But yeah, at only a 1/2" change, those were likely some stiff suckers just like they look.
When you say they only came up half an inch, was that with just the body on before, or was that with it fully assembled with engine and all the other stuff?

Did the Bronco sit level before? Looks like the only thing that could be in the rear springs is an add-a-leaf and those were typically only good for 2 to 2.5 inches for the thick ones, and only 1 to 1.5 inches for the thin ones.
Be interested to see another angle on the leaf springs from down low looking at the leaves.

Thanks

Paul

I never measured it with the drivetrain in unfortunately. It was just with the body on.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ahh, ok. Oh well, any measurements you take now are just estimates then and it's just too hard to tell without that extra 500 lbs of engine and accessories over the front end.
If the specifications existed on any of the aforementioned springs you could check them against yours when they are removed. But without that, you're just guessing.

When it comes time to setting things back up though, you only have to set your ride height between the frame and axle at 10.5" up front and 9.5" in the back to get your "approximate" final ride height with the new 3.5" springs installed. And even if you wanted to set things up before the springs are installed, you simply make four metal spacer rods to set between the frame and axles at that height, and you're there again.
Knowing that you can install the springs, ratchet strap the frame down on the suspension to that height, and do more setup stuff with trackbars and steering and driveshafts and such.
Until then though, everything is up in the air. Literally...

Paul