• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Amazing- coefficient of drag and what lift will do to Bronco mpg

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Quite a few years ago I wrote a short "paper" with calculations to show why EB mileage was what it is...almost regardless of the engine installed (I included SFC numbers for a number of actual gas and diesel engines, driveline loss estimates, etc). If I recall correctly, I wrote that up in response to the then-current "throw a 4BT in it and get 40 mpg" nonsense that was flying around.

It's what I do for a living...except for high speed ships and craft, not road vehicles. ;-)

I for one would enjoy reading that. Having done a bit of that work myself for a living in another life.

Actually fluid dynamic drag (and lift) is a fascinating subject and need not be intimidating. You don't need a degree in advanced math to understand the basics.

And yes Todd, if you are reading this, fluid dynamics is a difficult topic, but that's mostly because of the "drinking from a fire hose" approach that's required to give undergrad engineering students an introduction to what is a huge discipline in a couple of quarters or a semester.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Hence the Electrical Engineering degree... somebody must have told me about that course so I chose chasing electrons instead!! lol

I love mechanical engineering... I'd go that route now.. but it would be- I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks thing now! :)

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hence the Electrical Engineering degree... somebody must have told me about that course so I chose chasing electrons instead!! lol

I love mechanical engineering... I'd go that route now.. but it would be- I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks thing now! :)

I knew from a young age that I would not want to be a EE - and after working with them for the past 28 years, I know that more than ever! lol

As a mechanical engineer, we can at least 'see' most of the concepts we learn. Some aero friends had a rap they did on the Reynolds number back in our fluids days. Yeah, we were geeks - still are!

Todd Z.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I'm certainly not an engineer but do geek out over engineering topics and do a lot of engineering, but it usually involves an idea, hammer, welder, grinder and steel, then to paper or CAD if I can talk someone into drawing it.... LOL

I've had people ask if I'd sell the "plans" to some of the chassis's I've built. My answer is always, "Figure out how to get them off the napkin and out of my head and we'll both be rich" ;D

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I love learning new stuff but KING is not making the shocks that the guy had on his airplane for anybody but this guy, as in a "one off" AND they are nothing more than an air shock. I don't know how they are just an air shock since they dampen some (and oil is mixed with the nitrogen) but definitely not off road worthy!

Oh well, would have been cool.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
I'm certainly not an engineer but do geek out over engineering topics and do a lot of engineering, but it usually involves an idea, hammer, welder, grinder and steel, then to paper or CAD if I can talk someone into drawing it.... LOL

I've had people ask if I'd sell the "plans" to some of the chassis's I've built. My answer is always, "Figure out how to get them off the napkin and out of my head and we'll both be rich" ;D

I need to get the CAD thing down better. Finishing up a plaz table so I guess I’m kinda committed.😮

Scott

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Nah just got to be able to take pics LOL

That I can do. Now someone can steal mine. ;) I assume you’re referring to being able to scan photos into some CAD software? What you really need is one of those 3D digitizers. :)

Attachments

• C3D4F093-C38A-4F2E-86B5-63278AC71AF8.jpg
    C3D4F093-C38A-4F2E-86B5-63278AC71AF8.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 18

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
That I can do. Now someone can steal mine. ;) I assume you’re referring to being able to scan photos into some CAD software? What you really need is one of those 3D digitizers. :)

Yes most burn tables come with software to do just that. Funny I just got a demo from a vendor at work, some crazy accurate measurements with nothing more than a Bluetooth pendant touching corners and edges, amazing technology that didn’t require anything to operate other than basic instruction following skills, you could copy a simple part in under 2 minutes and have a drawing. And that simple part could be the size of a shirt button or a semi truck

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Yes most burn tables come with software to do just that. Funny I just got a demo from a vendor at work, some crazy accurate measurements with nothing more than a Bluetooth pendant touching corners and edges, amazing technology that didn’t require anything to operate other than basic instruction following skills, you could copy a simple part in under 2 minutes and have a drawing. And that simple part could be the size of a shirt button or a semi truck

I'd be interested in how that works....I'm sure it's too pricey, but if you have a link or company I'd be interested in reading about it.

Scott