• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ammo can console

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
I used the larger 50 cal. box for a center console and for some storage containers/arm rests for the rear seat. I alos used a 7.62 smaller container mounted to my rear tire carrier to put a tow chain in etc.

Attachments

• ammobox.jpg
    ammobox.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 99
  • tire rack3.jpg
    tire rack3.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 92

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I'm not sure what size this is, as the guy painted them before he gave them to me.

Attachments

• Console.JPG
    Console.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 139

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
looks like a 40mm can for a mk19.

that's affirm.

i've wondered how difficult it would be to put some padding on top and then some fabric and make the lid a little more comfy. can't be too difficult to upholster it. i'll have to give it a whirl. after i take care of about 10 other more important things. %)

OP
OP
lasadoor

lasadoor

Loc.
San Diego
yeah i guess your right i do have more important things to fix up, but still...

i don't think it would be very difficult to put some kind of padding on it, maybe i'll find out soon.

greasypigeon

Loc.
Fort Bliss, Tx
that's affirm.

i've wondered how difficult it would be to put some padding on top and then some fabric and make the lid a little more comfy. can't be too difficult to upholster it. i'll have to give it a whirl. after i take care of about 10 other more important things. %)

Shouldn't be to hard. Get a piece on wood for the bottom, some foam padding and leather to cover it.

OP
OP
lasadoor

lasadoor

Loc.
San Diego
Shouldn't be to hard. Get a piece on wood for the bottom, some foam padding and leather to cover it.

I was thinking along these lines and cutting a hole in the wood for the handle to come through for easy removal and then you can carry the box with you. studs coming up through the floor and wingnuts inside the can. That's it I'm on it tomorrow.

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
yeah i guess your right i do have more important things to fix up, but still...
my apologies if you misunderstood. i meant that i have more pressing things to fix, so my energies are better used elsewhere. like getting her to start! ;D

the wingnut idea is a good idea. it would also not be difficult to weld a hasp onto the can and to the lid. then you could lock it with a small padlock or keylock. not as cool as a Tuffy, but that's what i'm planning on doing.

greasypigeon

Loc.
Fort Bliss, Tx
I'm still thinking of ways of how I can put my cd player in to an ammo can, and swap out cd with out opening the lid, and still be able to lock it. Yes I'm the cheap to buy a tuffy.

OP
OP
lasadoor

lasadoor

Loc.
San Diego
my apologies if you misunderstood. i meant that i have more pressing things to fix, so my energies are better used elsewhere. like getting her to start! ;D

the wingnut idea is a good idea. it would also not be difficult to weld a hasp onto the can and to the lid. then you could lock it with a small padlock or keylock. not as cool as a Tuffy, but that's what i'm planning on doing.

i should be working on my front axles, rear driveshaft, replacing the tunnel cover, lower bushing on trac bar, etc...but i do need storage. do you have a thread about no starting?

not sure about the lock, need to see one first.

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
lasadoor, no i don't have a thread about it. i took the carb off to rebuild it and life got in the way so it sat for about 2 weeks without driving. once i finished rebuilding it i put the carb on and click-click-click. battery only has 9.something volts. no big deal, just need to recharge it or upgrade to an odessey!

sorry for the hijack!! back to OT:

greasypigeon, you'd have to make sure the cd player can safely be played on its side. some can play at odd angles, others are very unhappy at odd angles. i don't think you could find an ammo can wide enough to lay flat. anyways, if you can get one that plays on its side, you could then cut out the front of the ammo can so that just the face of the player sticks out. inside the can, build some sort of housing to anchor the player. maybe a little rubber insulation so it won't get too jarred. then to lock it, get a hasp and weld half of it on the lid, and half of it to the can. get yourself a small padlock or key lock, and you're good to go!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I had the ammo can for years as a console. After buying the wife a tuffy box for her 66 I decided it was worth the $$ for how much easier it is ro lock and unlock when parking. I gave the ammo can away with the stereo to a friend for his blazer.

OP
OP
lasadoor

lasadoor

Loc.
San Diego
at the hardware store today, originally for something else, i found a toolbox that works. Put bolts through the floor with lock nuts on top to hold'em in place and i have large washers and wingnuts inside the box for easy removal. has a tray insert and i'm thinking (open to ideas) about cup holders. i'd take pics but i don't have a camera

matt w

Bronco Guru
I used the larger 50 cal. box for a center console and for some storage containers/arm rests for the rear seat. I alos used a 7.62 smaller container mounted to my rear tire carrier to put a tow chain in etc.

That rear amo can is a GREAT Idea..I like it!
You could actually paint it black and it would most likely not draw too much more attention!
...I REALLY like the idea if it fits fine there!