• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ammo can console

knack

Contributor
I'm sure this has been done before, but here's a few pics of my cheapo (relatively) console solution.
After drilling the spot welds and taking the clamping hardware off the box, I used some of the wire from that to form a couple L-shaped pins. Those got brazed to the box and form a hinge on one end. The other end got a pushbutton lock from Reid Tool.
Also from Reid was the cable lanyard that holds the lid from opening too far. I used steel pop rivets to attach the lanyard; they don't interfere with the lid shutting.
After some rattle-can painting, I glued a piece of microfoam to the top for a cushion.
It all works pretty sweet. Total investment was about $75 including the 40mm ammo can, shipping, etc.
The 40mm can is about 18-1/2" long by 10" high by 6" wide, and fits nicely in a half cab with bucket seats.

Attachments

• Center console 003.jpg
    Center console 003.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 205
  • Center console 006.jpg
    Center console 006.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 173
  • Center console 011.jpg
    Center console 011.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 121

dvldav

Loc.
Clarksville, TN
I have been planning the same thing. I really like it and it appears to be the right height for a Bronco. Course perks of the job bein what they are I didn't have to pay for the .50 can.

OP
OP
K

knack

Contributor
I bet the cost of the box was less than the cover .

Yep. The small, light stuff was more expensive than the heavy part.
All I need to do now is add some RAM drink holders and the total cost will be right up there with the aftermarket consoles.