• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Amp gauge to volt gauge upgrade

weekend warrior

Loc.
Seabeck, WA
Has anyone swapped out their gauge cluster amp gauge to a voltage gauge while doing a 1G to 3G alternator upgrade? I am wondering if I can use the factory wiring from the amp gauge to power up the voltage gauge?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, more trouble than it's worth to use the old ammeter wire, BUT you can still use "factory wiring" as you suspect.
Just not the big ammeter wire. That one should remain unmolested and the two halves re-connected after removing the ammeter itself.

As mentioned, you can use either the ACC terminal (long center post) at the back of the ignition switch, OR the input side of the instrument voltage regulator (IVR) with equal success.
Both are pretty easy, and both are pretty close to the gauge physically. But the ACC post might be the king of easy, with just a ring-terminal needed and away you go.

Paul

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I just tap the power feed into the voltage regulator (careful here, one side is 12v the other is about 5v) and connect it to the + on the voltmeter from Classy Gauges. (Wild horses sells them as well) and the - side I take to the screw that attaches the voltage regulator to the housing, it is a good ground point.