• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

An Icelandic '66

IceBronco

Hello.

Just recently finished the interior of my '66 and thought I'd show you for fun. Put on it a plastic top few years ago and never finished the job on the inside until now. Used black vinyl, rust free steel and Rhino Linings for the floor. Took a few weeks but was a huge fun to create.

The Bronco, when introduced here in 1966 was a revolution for farmers and
4x4 lovers here, since the leading 4x4 till that time had been the Land Rover. For some reason, it was only available here with extra thick leaf springs front and rear. It had about two HP (or so it felt at least) so the Bronco was to many like a dream in comparasin.

There were quite a few sold here while it was manufactured and can still be seen today but they are getting fewer fast.

Thanks for a brilliant EB community.

default.aspx

default.aspx

default.aspx

default.aspx

Hjörleifur.

OP
OP
I

IceBronco

Was trrying to get the pics in here but didn't seem to get it right. Sorry.

H

joe

Bronco Guru
sweet, great lookin rig. inside and out!

that top looks awesome.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
great looking rig

what's up with the hardtop ?

the windows are much larger than stock, cant tell if the rear opens but I assume it does

great job

OP
OP
I

IceBronco

The hardtop is fiberglass, custom made for some fellow in a boat factory. He never used it, I found out and bought the piece. The "devil horns" on top are for strength, plus, they give the option of a luggage box up there when we are travelling. The rear does not open, yet. I've finished fabricating an upper tailgate in fiberglass and steel, just need to cut the rear of the top open and mount the thing.

Thanks, the rig is an exampel of everything fabricated, built and done at home, from the paint, to the inside, to the engine, to the this and that...

Hjörleifur.

weasel

Loc.
Norfolk
That,s a sweet rig, I like the fiberglass top. It makes it unique and those are some cool flares on the rear.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
That is one very nicely done rig. I take it your garage is heated :)

OP
OP
I

IceBronco

Yes sir, heated, huge, bright and with a beer cooler.

Thanks, the flares are simple enough, a thin rim welded to the fenders and then stiff rubber with a nice finish bolted on with rust free bolts. I've got fiberglass flares, but I love the rugged look these give. I guess I'm not the "show car" kind of guy, to me it's more important to do things well so they function and last, and have the rig looking rough, like it loves being dirty!

It also features the chevy disk upgrade in the front, a huge diffrence I might add. The engine is the 200 inline with a 2bbl 350 Holley and headers. No power plant, but it does the job. I've got a smooth running, bone stock 302 sitting in a part car that sits behind my house. Who knows..

Hjörleifur.

OP
OP
I

IceBronco

No, sorry, I don't know the Ólafur you mencioned. Funny though, my brother's name is Ólafur. His rig is a '74 with the 302 c4 combo on 38" tires.

H

OP
OP
I

IceBronco

Thank's alot, I take special pride in that. Fastening it to the fiberglass was a bit of a headaiche. I ended up gluing plastic cubes on the fiberglass all around the windows, and then the window pieces on to those after lining it with the winyl. That also gave me something to fasten (screw) the black rim that surrounds the windows and hides the gap. Hope this makes sense.. The top vinyl piece I glued on to sponge and then glued the sponge up to the fiberglass. Again, hope this makes sense..

This was a lot of work, and I loved every minute, this was fun to do.

H

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Hjörleifur, Welcome to the site. I see some different approaches to your fabricating style. How about some more photos of your top,rear seat and anything else that seems to be not stock. Its always nice to see a fresh look at another approach to doing something.

robofig

Hey Ice bronco, Could we see a few pictures of your front axle? If I read it right, you said Ford put leaf springs on the front of the iceland broncos. I need to check that out.;D

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Hey Ice bronco, Could we see a few pictures of your front axle? If I read it right, you said Ford put leaf springs on the front of the iceland broncos. I need to check that out.;D

I think he was referring to the Land Rover which was why the Bronco was so sought after.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I also like the top. Very original. I'd like to see a couple more photos of your rear seat. From the one you posted, the upholstery looks pretty cool.