• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ANOTHER hydroboost install question

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I have been through a lot of posts on this subject and I am a bit confused. I have the astro unit with a mounting plate. When installed I can not come up with a positon for the hydroboost that clears the throttle linkage AND I can get the hoses pointed in away from the valve cover. With the cylinder on the driver's side it clears the throttle linkage but the one hose is pointed into the valve cover and the other at the steering column. Any other position puts the master cylinder in a non level position.

Is my only choice to mount the hydroboost in a convenient orientation and then make an adaptor to reposition the m/c back to level?

Stock '68 no lift, C4 floor shifter.

Thanks!

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
i have the astro van booster. i made my own mounting plate. here is how mine is positioned. I do have a 1" body lift and I removed all the shift linkage from the steering column.

Attachments

• hboost close.jpg
    hboost close.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 133
  • hboost firewall.jpg
    hboost firewall.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 113
  • hydraulic in and out.jpg
    hydraulic in and out.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 108
  • hydraulic lines.jpg
    hydraulic lines.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 100

mattoo

Loc.
NLR
mine is mounted with the accumulator facing the valve covers, I used a piece of 4 in square tube welded to the back of the bracket to space it off the firewall so the accumulator clears the throttle linkage. I did have to cut an extra inch or so out of the top of the hole in the firewall. the bracket and booster are one piece and slide over 3 allthread studs coming from the original holes around the master. I'll get pics for you.

Oatmeal

I have a 351W and reclocked mine 90*and corrected the m/c orientation with a custom adapter plate and a corresponding pushrod spacer (1/2") but, still had issues with the accumulator clearing the throttle linkage so, I cut off the driver's side arm of the bell crank and welded it on the inside of the pivot bracket and now have plenty of room.......did that make sense?:? Caution if you go this route, place some wet rags on the pivot bushings because they're plastic and will melt:eek:......don't ask how I found out:-X--------Hans

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I have to get some photos but it has been in the 20's for the last two weeks here. It looks like #3 photo except w/o the body lift this line is pointed right at the column with practically no room.

Oatmeal - I get what you are saying but I need to see it will get me enough room because it sure looks tight.

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I finally wrapped this up and did have enough clearance. About .125 between the column and the hose. I think this is because I used the OEM Astro hose which had a preformed bend. Once I got my new hoses installed on these ends it seems to all fit. Thanks!

Oatmeal

I finally wrapped this up and did have enough clearance. About .125 between the column and the hose. I think this is because I used the OEM Astro hose which had a preformed bend. Once I got my new hoses installed on these ends it seems to all fit. Thanks!
Cool! Enjoy your new power(ful) brakes! I converted to 4 wheel discs on my '96 Cherokee and they're fantastic but, after putting hydroboost and rear discs on my Bronco, my Cherokee feels like it has manual brakes now:eek:-------Hans