• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any books on swapping frames and building suspensions?

mikemc

Loc.
Lake Tahoe
Well, from what I hear from the shops it will cost $3-4k in labor to swap frames, build a stock suspension, add front disc brakes, replace wires and a little more. I thought it was a bit much. So I GUESS I will do it myself. I don't have lots of FREE time, I don't have TONS of space and did I mention I'm NOT the greatest mechanic?

My RUST BUCKET needs (as I mentioned last week) a new frame and suspension. What reference guides can I purchase to help me along? It's a '72 with a finished body. I'd like to keep the body as un-damaged as possible while I'm moving it. I'm doing this basically ALONE so that means I'm a one man crew.

I'm hoping I can rig a shop crane to assist in the lifting of my nice, freshly painted body. Yes, this job was done in reverse. Oh, did I mention that today while lifting the hard top off the truck I gouged a portion of the tailgate down to metal? My 120lb wife isn't much help so I end up using leverage and hoists to replace FRIENDS that don't show up. I had to slide the top off using 4x4s as tracks. It worked for the most part.

So what books can I buy? And how long is this going to take me once I have all of the parts and tools? My wife will be bitching the entire time because all she sees now is a nice blue beauty on the garage - when the body comes off it will be a totally different story. So time is a factor. She's a car gal herself and owns a really sweet 190SL '62 (Mercedes) which will have to be parked OUTSIDE because that's exactly where my new FRAME will go! That won't go down well.

What's the next step?

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
I cannot recommend one book for all of that. Most of what you are doing is not particulary complicated. It can get a little overwhelming at times to see a truck all apart. you said your frame is shot? Whats shot about it. how are the body mounts on your body??

I would check out the automotive section of a real bookstore (boarders, B&N) There will be plenty of individual books on the stuff you would like to learn about. Personally the best way to learn is to do IMO. If you take it apart you will know how to put it together. There will be plenty of help here if you get stuck.
as a sidenote I had a friend that redid a CJ7. he was in the same situation as you pretty much. He has little experence, not many tools, but a place to work on it. Took him an entire winter but he went though the entire jeep (body off resto) Pretty much he just dove into it and when he needed help he asked.

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
You can check out my website HERE and go to the bronco gallery. You can pretty much see step by step pictures of my 69 teardown and buildup. I have never done anything like this before and did most of it all by myself. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Another option for you would be to buy a rolling chassis or another bronco with a less than spectacular body and just do a swap then sell off the remainder ;D

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Id buy a rustybucket with a good frame or a nice Bronco that got rolled, and put your good body on it.