• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any explorer swaps using the explorer fan?

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
The subject says it all. Are any of the explorer swapped rigs using the explorer fan? If so can you post some pics and details?

I am using the explorer front assembly and the champion 5.0 swap radiator and like the idea of a stock explorer fan and fan clutch.

I would check for myself but I do not have the explorer fan. If anyone has one for sale pm me the price.

Thanks

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
It doesn't work-

IMG_20130524_151234_zpsee780120.jpg

Oh wait, yeah, it fits perfectly. This is with a 351W with a Explorer fan and radiator with the factory shroud. I might actually have to space the shroud towards the fan as it doesn't fully sit in it, but it cools really well.

Bouncing off the 5K+ RPM range for a few minutes in thick cement like mud din't even move the temp...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVEXQ6Ib5dU&feature=share&list=UU3xxCTsaQ9CzNOSpDLQkxoQ

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I believe most who have the explorer motor and or serpentine system are using the stock clutch fan. It is actually one of the major benefits of the front dress. From what I have read here, it is one of the best fans for cooling out there.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even with the stock Explorer clutch fan there is plenty of room for just about any Radiator installed. Very good cooling fan.

The Explorer and the 94-95 Mustangs front accessories and Fan are the shortest by far.

tacobronco

Hey KyleQ -

Am I understanding you correctly that you are using an explorer radiator? Details?

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I run the factory v8 explorer fan and a 92 explorer radiator and shroud. Works perfect, the 96-01 explorer radiators are too wide to go between the bronco frame. You make custom upper and lower mounts which is a breeze and use v8 explorer hoses and the lower one needs to be from a v8 explorer with no oil cooler. They will ask you at the parts counter about the oil cooler if you tell them a 2000 explorer 5.0

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The upper mount you just make a tab that extends up from the radiator core support to bolt the radiator to and get some donuts from a junk yard from a 92ish square explorer that the lower radiator mount sits in and weld a 2x3" tab to the frame to put the donuts in.

Attachments

• attachment-4.jpeg
    attachment-4.jpeg
    4.1 KB · Views: 157
  • attachment-1.jpeg
    attachment-1.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 94
  • attachment.jpeg
    attachment.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 84

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Hey KyleQ -

Am I understanding you correctly that you are using an explorer radiator? Details?

Yeah - $100 lifetime warranty @ Oriley's and in stock at most places, hard to beat. Found in automatic and HD manual styles - fits between the frame rails and can be mounted by just two bolts from the top.

I'm running a stock Bronco upper hose that I cut and turned to clear the serp belt and fan with a piece of untouched exhaust hose (just clamps) and the bottom is a modified cut & turned Powerstroke hose as well.

Very easy - no silly cross over tube bullshit and its clean. Cools extremely well without a hood on it, cooled my 302 EFI motor with a hood just fine, expect it to do the same with this 351W. I've only ever been able to get the Explorer fan to lockup and make noise a handful of times, and that involved minutes of WOT in deep mud.

This setup cools, PERIOD - nice fit and finish, lots of room. I need to space the shroud closer to the fan - but its been 100% perfect from the start even with only the very top of the shroud covering the fan.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
The upper mount you just make a tab that extends up from the radiator core support to bolt the radiator to and get some donuts from a junk yard from a 92ish square explorer that the lower radiator mount sits in and weld a 2x3" tab to the frame to put the donuts in.

Notice on the bottom of the automatic radiator the lower hose points down and drops it below the frame? The manual transmission radiator comes straight out and a bit higher, better hose angle and nothing below the frame then.

So if you don't need the trans cooler tanks, you get a skinnier radiator with a better hose angle! ;)