• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any helpful tips on new leaf spring install?

benelibutton

Im getting it taken apart now and hopeing someone has helpful tips to make it go smooth? One at a time ? leaf drive line attached ? anythings appreciated . check back in a bit

sp71eb

Loc.
North Liberty, Ia
I just put a floor jack under the pumpkin and then unhook your shackles from the frame. Then unbolt the front bolt. Remove the old spring and install the shackle on the new spring. (make sure it is facing the correct direction) May want to go ahead and have new bolts ready because usually the bolts are either rusted or stuck in the old bushings. Good luck.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
One side at a time. Also, I hade to have a come along and use a separate jack to compress the new leaf to line up with the mounting holes.i installed new shackles and all new mounting hardware as it was all crusty stuff. I believe I mounted the rear first which could have been the wrong way. I would suggest a freind to be helping as well. I'm sure there's other ways but that's how I got mine done. Have fun it takes a little force to get er' done.
Blue

OP
OP
B

benelibutton

thanks since the post i have one on and putting shim and stuff on the second one as i post. Its going pretty smooth. I did one side at a time before I even read this. seems like a better way to do it. Last time I did it It was a little less organized with bolts and tools everywhere this concentrates everything and seem efficent