• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Helpful Shop tip of the day

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
ALLWAYS CHOCK YOUR WHEELS WHEN JACKING AND NEVER WORK UNDER A JACK WITHOUT GOOD JACK STANDS.My neighbor's head looks kinda funny now:eek:

Floored

Loc.
Saltspring Island BC
Please, please, please don't use a grinder without a proper face shield!
My son's favorite teacher (nice young guy) lost his eye when the grinder wheel he was working with blew apart. Glasses just don't cover enough to keep projectiles from skipping in behind them!!!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
X2 on the face shield. I had a brand spankin new 3" cut off wheel explode as soon as i hit the trigger. 8 stitches in my chin later now i only by quality discs and stuff from the welding shop. The disc that blew up was a husky from depot.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No ripped jeans while welding. Those cotton strands light right up.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
When the bronco won't turn over, don't jump the solenoid under the hood; it may be in drive. The hood will accordion on the garage door, the fuel pressure gauge will go through the windshield, and both cars in the driveway will get hit!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-S3 using Tapatalk 2 on CyanogenMod

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
The main reason Mechanics don't have long hair is really simple. While rolling around under my truck on my creeper I became stuck. My first thought going through the grey matter was ...oh wheels stuck on parts..........gray matter scanning....parts...what ouch!!!!!,I could not go forward ...nope backward either....OUCH...THE TIGHTER IT GOT IT WAS SQUEEZING MY HEAD THROUGH THE PILLOW ON CREEPER....SO HIT SPEED DIAL....NOPE NOBODY ANSWERS....FUCK.....I STILL HAVE LOTS OF HAIR....ITS SHORT NOW....IRONICLY.....I SAVED $left 3.00 ON A HAIR CUT AT BIG DEBBIES.....LOL

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't spin on an oil filter and think, I'll tighten that later.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't let your son drive the car away after he did his first oil change without making sure the parking break is released...

"Hey dad, the car seems real slow, and I smell smoke..."

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Always pump the pedal after brake work BEFORE shifting the trans. Not me, but I've seen several techs' eyes go big as saucers as they rolled out thru the parking lot, under chain link fences, & into parked cars.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
If gas starts to run down your arm during any fuel related work, keep your elbow bent. Fuel in the pits is something you only do once. :eek:

Learning to wrench in the 70s, that ^ long hair vs creeper wheel scenario brings back painful memories. And mine was never over the collar. Something about the design of a creeper wheel makes backing up pull even more.

Last edited:

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Don't start putting new oil in your engine during an oil change before making sure you put the pan plug back in after draining. Doh!

OP
OP
RT

RT

Bronco Guru
When the bronco won't turn over, don't jump the solenoid under the hood; it may be in drive. The hood will accordion on the garage door, the fuel pressure gauge will go through the windshield, and both cars in the driveway will get hit!

hah ! I wasn't going to admit to this one but ,

I was 19 ( that'll be my excuse ) , tuning up my first Bronco. I wanted to start the motor while standing on the big bumper. Forgetting that I had put it in first gear to get the linkage out of the way to get to the last plug, I turned the key to the run position, took my place on the bumper and fired it up.

It's idling slow , no problem I'll just turn the throttle stop up. Still slow ,, I'd just better rev it up a couple times%)

Not knowing my toolbox was acting as a wheel chock, when I revved it up over the toolbox it went , me just hanging on now I pulled the coil wire OWWW !!! My driveway sloped uphill a little, so now the Bronco's rolling back, I'm still hanging on swearing, next door neighbour rolling around laughing, it all came to a stop against the side of the house and me falling on my ass.

I also got to learn how to replace vinyl siding that week.%)

Oh yeah ,, the tip ,,, What Chuzie said ^^^^

chuzie

Bronco Guru
hah ! I wasn't going to admit to this one but ,

I was 19 ( that'll be my excuse ) , tuning up my first Bronco. I wanted to start the motor while standing on the big bumper. Forgetting that I had put it in first gear to get the linkage out of the way to get to the last plug, I turned the key to the run position, took my place on the bumper and fired it up.

It's idling slow , no problem I'll just turn the throttle stop up. Still slow ,, I'd just better rev it up a couple times%)

Not knowing my toolbox was acting as a wheel chock, when I revved it up over the toolbox it went , me just hanging on now I pulled the coil wire OWWW !!! My driveway sloped uphill a little, so now the Bronco's rolling back, I'm still hanging on swearing, next door neighbour rolling around laughing, it all came to a stop against the side of the house and me falling on my ass.

I also got to learn how to replace vinyl siding that week.%)

Oh yeah ,, the tip ,,, What Chuzie said ^^^^

You win! Thanks for making me feel better. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-S3 using Tapatalk 2 on CyanogenMod

Loggerhead

Loc.
Conroe, Tx
When using a sawsall to cut body panels and start to smell burning rubber, don't smell the blade to see if that's the source. Dang thing gets hot! :eek: