• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any information content in numbers on tag or stamped on PS box?

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I’m about to have my original 76 PS box rebuilt, probably with West Texas Offroad, so I was looking over the outside of the box. Knowing how the metal assembly tags on various things get lost, it occurred to me that I wanted to be able to recover any information if the need ever arises in the future. In addition to the metal tag, there are some numbers stamped on the top of the PS gear as well. Build date? Part number? Gear specs?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The tag will say SPA AU on a 76 or 77 box. There is a date code cast into the case and usually another stamped into the top cover. The cast one is probably when the case was poured. The stamped date is probably when the box was put together.

OP
OP
MarsChariot

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I had somebody in mind when I asked that question and I see I was not disappointed! So it looks like there is nothing critical in the numbers unless someone were doing a mega original restoration. Thanks Phil!