• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

any way to clear out carbon deposits?

gear_head

I am about to light the fire on the EFI conversion in my '71 Sport. Its only got 44k original miles, and runs great, no smoke and great oil pressure. Is there any way to get rid of the carbon deposits that are on the cylinder heads from 34 years of running with the carberator?? I remember one of my high school auto shop teachers feeding a motor transmission fluid through a vacuum line while it was running. I'm sure that is some old school method that does more harm than good, but does anyone know of any real methods??

fstik

carbon deposits

My dad used to take a garden hose and trickle a little water down the carburator while manually increasing the idle to keep the engine from stalling. He said it was the equivalent of steam cleaning the inside of the combustion chambers. Try this at your own risk, as I'm sure there may be reasons not to attempt this, but it always worked for us.

fstik

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D What I have done for meney years is as was said bring motor up to temp. and run RPM to about 3000 and add water to pull it to about 1000 RPM but dont kill the motor. Water hiting carbon will make it brake and come off. Dont stand by the tail pipe works good . Good luck. :p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

plate

Loc.
Monrovia, ca
This is true, some very large generators use a mist injection system for similar reasons.

just make sure you add the water very slowly, maybe use a spray bottle???

I think if you googled this it would come up

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
With 44,000 miles I doubt if theres all that much carbon build up to even bother. I've torn down many carburated engine with many more miles than that and they had very little carbon build up. But water does work very good at cleaning carbon up if you ever see a cylinder on an engine with a leaking head gasket it will be almost like new compared to one right next to it that didnt have a leak.

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
73stallion said:
SEA FOAM!!

this stuff is strictly for breaking up carbon in the combustion chamber.

That's what I use. It works very good. I get better results than from tranny fluid...

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
wildbill said:
;D ;D ;D What I have done for meney years is as was said bring motor up to temp. and run RPM to about 3000 and add water to pull it to about 1000 RPM but dont kill the motor. Water hiting carbon will make it brake and come off. Dont stand by the tail pipe works good . Good luck. :p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p
What he said. Take a cup of water and dump it down the motor while you hold the rpm's up to keep it from dying. Try about 1/4 cup at a shot and let it come back up to rpm's before dumping the next 1/4 cup in. If you happen to have a bottle of beer handy it makes a good substitute.

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
Just a quick scarey moment I had....

A freind came over years back. I showed him how to clean out the carbon. I can't recall if I used water or tranny fluid. After the treatment the engine started knocking :eek: My freind looked at me with tears in his eyes. I thought I had bent a rod by dumping too much in. After running it for a few miles the knock went away. I figure it was a large chunk of carbon rolling around in the cylinder. Of course I acted like the situation was under control the whole time... ;D

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
SaddleUp said:
If you happen to have a bottle of beer handy it makes a good substitute.

Please don't waste beer for this........especially if it's Heineken ;D

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Madgyver said:
Please don't waste beer for this........especially if it's Heineken ;D
Ah, but it's funny seeing the neighbors looks when you dump half a beer through the intake. You have to be sure they are around though otherwise it is just a waste.

Scott M

Loc.
Baltimore
GM has a

product specially designed for carbon removal throughout the system. can't remember what its called, but you can get it at the parts counter at any GM dealer (maybe top cleaner?). 16 oz can or something for like 6 or 7 bucks.

i've heard h20, but w/ my luck, i'd put too much in and lock the motor up. i've done AT fluid, seems to work well, but i've been warned of using it if there are any emissions things in the exhaust system.

my .02.

scottmcwms

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
Sea Foam...Great product. Will also remove varnish throughout your fuel system.

The only problem with water is it will probably get into your oil. Water has a high risk factor. Sea Foam is very low risk. If you use water, change your oil, oil filter, and spark plugs. After running for about 2 hours. If you fun Sea Foam change your spark plugs after running a full tank of gas.

Scott

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
scottmcwms said:
Sea Foam...Great product. Will also remove varnish throughout your fuel system.

The only problem with water is it will probably get into your oil. Water has a high risk factor. Sea Foam is very low risk. If you use water, change your oil, oil filter, and spark plugs. After running for about 2 hours. If you fun Sea Foam change your spark plugs after running a full tank of gas.

Scott
If it gets in your oil then you have some pretty serious problems. How much fuel do you find in your oil? Of the dozen or so times I've used water not once did it get any in the oil and if it had then I would pull the motor to get it rebuilt or replaced.

scottmcwms

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
SaddleUp said:
If it gets in your oil then you have some pretty serious problems. How much fuel do you find in your oil? Of the dozen or so times I've used water not once did it get any in the oil and if it had then I would pull the motor to get it rebuilt or replaced.

You have a good point. If you are seeing water in your oil (during this test)then you should be seeing fuel in your oil (during normal running conditions) or vise versa seeing oil in your fuel. The reason I bring this up is if you are getting carbon deposits then it is probably coming from two areas...either improper combustion (too rich) or oil leakage into the cylinder. If oil is leaking into the cylinder then as you said you have some pretty serious problems.

Also, oil and water don't mix, right?!? Wrong, oil will dissolve into water up to 200 ppm (parts per million) and you won't be able to see it with the naked eye, depending on what type of oil you are talking about. Even at this small amount it is just as dangerous as having standing water in your oil. Here is an interesting article about water in oil. Once you get past the trade jargon it has a lot to say. http://www.noria.com/learning_cente...eid=192&relatedbookgroup=ContaminationControl

The reason I say to use Sea Foam is that you are guaranteed to not have any water ingression issues as Sea Foam is a completely combustible material. But if you do go with the tried and true method of pouring water into your carb, then you should change your oil and oil filter just in case. We're talking about $20 or so for peace of mind. Also, don't over do it. Just a little water at a time is OK. Water is a non-compressible fluid. If you pour too much in there and it doesn't all flash to steam then you have the possibility of blowing out a cylinder wall. Beer is a different story. I guess at least it has some combustible properties!!

I know the cylinder wall blowing out is pretty far fetched, but I have seen it before. Not on this process, but one of my friends had a problem with coolant ingression and blew out a cylinder wall when the cylinder lost ignition. Not a pretty site!

Good luck with either option.

Scott

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
scottmcwms said:
You have a good point. If you are seeing water in your oil (during this test)then you should be seeing fuel in your oil (during normal running conditions) or vise versa seeing oil in your fuel. The reason I bring this up is if you are getting carbon deposits then it is probably coming from two areas...either improper combustion (too rich) or oil leakage into the cylinder. If oil is leaking into the cylinder then as you said you have some pretty serious problems.

Also, oil and water don't mix, right?!? Wrong, oil will dissolve into water up to 200 ppm (parts per million) and you won't be able to see it with the naked eye, depending on what type of oil you are talking about. Even at this small amount it is just as dangerous as having standing water in your oil. Here is an interesting article about water in oil. Once you get past the trade jargon it has a lot to say. http://www.noria.com/learning_cente...eid=192&relatedbookgroup=ContaminationControl

The reason I say to use Sea Foam is that you are guaranteed to not have any water ingression issues as Sea Foam is a completely combustible material. But if you do go with the tried and true method of pouring water into your carb, then you should change your oil and oil filter just in case. We're talking about $20 or so for peace of mind. Also, don't over do it. Just a little water at a time is OK. Water is a non-compressible fluid. If you pour too much in there and it doesn't all flash to steam then you have the possibility of blowing out a cylinder wall. Beer is a different story. I guess at least it has some combustible properties!!

I know the cylinder wall blowing out is pretty far fetched, but I have seen it before. Not on this process, but one of my friends had a problem with coolant ingression and blew out a cylinder wall when the cylinder lost ignition. Not a pretty site!

Good luck with either option.

Scott
If hydro-locking damages it then it is usually either a bent or busted connecting rod. You obviously would not want to dump a quart of water in at one shot as it will kill the engine and it can be permanent. If the engine ever dies from water injestion then do not try to start it again. Pull the plugs first and pump the water out of it by turning it over. Then change the oil and filter at the first opportunity. (This is different from clearing deposits since the water will be sitting in the cylinders and can drain through the rings into the oil) Of the 4 or 5 times I've killed a motor from getting too deep into water only once did it kill the motor for good. It also happened to be the only time I started the motor back up right away (The tide was coming in and I was desperate to get it started again). The other times I pulled the plugs, pumped the water out, and then used WD40 on the plugs (and distributor) to displace the water.

scottmcwms

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
SaddleUp,
Another great point. Never try to start your motor when you suspect it has been flooded with water. BTW did you get my PM about the parts you have for sale?

Scott