• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anybody else have a problem with K&N?

Dez

I have a K&N cone filter on my truck (302, MAF, C4, etc.) I opened my hood today and found my K&N filter split in half. The part with the hose clamp attaching it to the MAF sensor was still there but the rest of it broke off and was laying in my spare battery tray. I don't off-road in my rig nor do I beat the crap out of it driving-wise. Has anybody else had this happen to them? I tried to contact the tech department at K&N but I'm assuming that I won't hear back until at least after the holidays. Does anybody know if something like this is covered under their million mile warranty? This is really confusing the hell out of me.

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
I have never had that happen with a K&N filter before, but I bet if you explain to them in a nice manner what happened they should refund your money, or send you a new one.

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
Good post!

However, I hate to change the tone of it but I do have a question about K&N's since the subject has been brought up.

What K&N size is the replacement for the stock 302 engine? Also, where do you pick 'em up at!?

Jimmyjames

Loc.
Romulus, AL
Slumlord said:
Good post!

However, I hate to change the tone of it but I do have a question about K&N's since the subject has been brought up.

What K&N size is the replacement for the stock 302 engine? Also, where do you pick 'em up at!?

I dont have a K & N but here is a link that might be of some help.

K & N Filter Lookup

Jimmyjames

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
I have never had one break but they shrink! I have had three go from 14" to 11.5" over time. If you send them back with the receipt they will replace them I think. I know they used to. Dave

jcwalsh1

Loc.
Shawnee, KS
I have run K&Ns on my bikes for years with no problems. I have never heard of the shrinkage issue. Did they ever explain why it happens?

wilson

I also had one shrink, I replaced it with an AFE very happy with it I also went with AFE intake system in my power stroke.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
My K&N tore as described at the top of the thread. The rubber part that fits over the MAF tore about half way around, right where the edge of the hose clamp is. The MAF has a lip on it, and I think the lip and the edge of the hose clamp acted like a shear. I put a couple wraps of radiator hose tape around it and it seems to be holding up well. I don't want to buy a new one yet because I'm going to be doing something else with my intake in the future so I don't want to waste the dough.

BTW, I'm not a fan of K&Ns for use in the dust, which includes most trails here in So Cal. I wash and oil it before EVERY run, and I still see silt inside the MAF just past the filter. I put it on there a year and a half ago as an interim measure. The interim seems to keep getting longer. I need to remedy that sitch sometime soon before all the dirt the K&N lets by kills my motor.

Dusty