• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone build a rack over their soft top?

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
I need something to carry my paddle boards on the Bronco while keeping the soft top on. Total weight isn't much but the size is going to be like a big sail up there so it needs to be pretty strong.
Looking for pictures or ideas.

I'm thinking an exo style bed rail lumber rack or something that attaches to the windshield or cage in the front with one of those deals that attaches to the hitch to hold the rear.

BroncoBoom

Loc.
Grass Valley
Not sure if this will help or not .
But there are a few companies that make exterior " Outside of Top " racks
For Jeeps that are close to what you are looking for .
Not sure if they would have an application for Bronco's but could probably find
A fab shop to design something close . Good luck .

Read your Paint issue article .
Did you end up with a positive outcome ?
Had some paint woes myself can be very frustrating .

OP
OP
Sac '68 sport

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
Thanks.
I was looking at those for ideas. Only thing is the front attachment. I'm not sure the front windshield would be able to handle the stress if it was attached using the stock windshield hardtop bolt holes and I don't want to put a bracket on the windshield or fender.

The paint issues worked out ok I guess. There are still some specks of dirt in the hood in places that I notice and a few dings that they were supposed to take care of in the first place that they didn't. Most other people don't notice and I've won a couple trophy's at local shows and cruse in's so overall it looks good. Just a few flaws here and there. They fixed the door jambs and under the hood which were the worst of the dirt. Just the fact that I had to take it back several times to have them fix things that a simple walk around by a manager that gave a crap would have seen and made the painter fix before it left the shop means I'd never take a rig back there or recommend them to anyone. Whenever anyone asks I tell them all about my experience. I'm not sure if it scared away anyone that was thinking about taking it there but I know it took it off the table for a lot of people that were still looking for shops.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I would expect a well made roof rack bolted to the bed sides and windshield frame would support the windshield as well as the hardtop.
I doubt that one attached to the windshield frame and the rear hitch receiver would.

Thank you for the interesting ideas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sac '68 sport

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
good point about having it bolted to the bed rails and window frame. I was stuck thinking either bed rails only and something free hanging out over the windshield like a normal truck rack, or just a hitch rack and the windshield.