• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone drill out the rear leaf center pin to larger size?

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Most perches are worn or have to large of a hole for the leaf pin.
My new perches have a slightly larger hole than stock and I thought I'd drill out all the leafs and add a larger pin so I have a larger pin head. Anyone done this?

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
You're not going to be able to drill them out very easily. Spring steel is too darn hard. I've tried, recently. In 30 minutes of drilling with a brand new high carbon drill bit, nice slow speed on the press and cutting oil, I managed to chamfer the edge, and that's about it. ;D

mudstud

Contributor
Bronco Bonehead
Loc.
Excel
As Gummi Bear said they are hard. I tried and did not succeed (many expensive drill bits later). I carried them to a machine shop and had it done. He did it but he told me that he would not attempt it again.

Dans1/2cab

Loc.
Southern Oregon
Like everyone befor I to have dulled many drill bits trying to get that hole to take a bigger bolt. I had to use a air die grinder with a 1/4 inch double cut 1/4inch shank, carbide bit. Take it slow and ream the hole to the bolt size. To hi of RPM and the bit chatters. Use some eye protection because the chips fly everywhere. But it cuts out the hole. It won't take any longer than drilling, but then drilling doesn't work. So give that a try.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As everyone has already stated, modifying spring steel is no fun. Aside from grinding the hole or lasercutting it, you might just be better off machining a button nubbin (yes, I made it up) with the OD you want which is counterbored for a socket head cap screw of the same shank diameter as the stock bolt. This way all you have to do is remove the bolt and then reinstall the SHCS with the button nubbin and you should be good to go. Depending on how big you want to make the hole in your perch, you could make the cbore large enough for the hex head cap screw as well...but that's getting pretty big by the time you factor in your socket diameter.

OP
OP
68 Broncoholic

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Hmmm... I think I might skip that and plate the perch and make a new hole the correct size.

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
When I added installed my leafs I went ahead and installed shims from hild horses which can with new larger center bolts. I used a drill press, wd-40, and the slowest speed. I didn't have a problem drilling them at all. It just took a while and dulled the bit. Its not as scary and you guys are making it.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Your perches are prolly rounded off anyway, Id just weld a plate to it and drill a new hole.