• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

anyone ever hear of a three-wiper set up?

Jfryjfry

New owner and new here - looks like the place to be!

Just picked up a pretty solid eb and gettin her back on the road. One oddity is that it has three windshield wipers. Looks like a fairly nice custom job using ken parts. Anyone ever hear of or seen such a thing? I'll try and figure out pictures to get one up!

needsmoarturbo

Yeah, I've heard of it. Are they above or below the windshield?
There is a tech write up on CB showing an install

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I've seen 3 wipers on British sports cars but not on a bronco.

Chopped top? I've pondered that with a shorter windshield and shorter blades. Must be either 3 stock vacuum wiper motors or 3 marine wiper motors? A single motor and linkage to 3 blades would be tough to do!

House

Minutia Militia
Way back when there was a guy named Buzz Gordon in the Bay Area that converted a lot of EB's to a three wiper setup... Here is a Baja Bronco that he did:

Attachments

• 00b0b_bWUW8XB5p78_1200x900.jpg
    00b0b_bWUW8XB5p78_1200x900.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 153

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Some of the first "bottom of the windshield" set ups were a three wiper set up.
Then the Astro Van motor on the bottom of the windshield with two wipers .
Then the View Finder from WH.
Numerous Hot Rod shop variants.

I really like the WH viewfinder but could definitely see the benefit of a third wiper.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
New owner and new here - looks like the place to be!

Hey Jfryjfry, welcome to classicbroncos.com and the wild wild world of PO mods!
Is yours by any chance a Blue '76 possibly?
There was a guy here in San Jose back when that worked at the Ford assembly plant that modified his that way. It was VERY slick and since I test drove it in the rain got to check out how well it worked too.
I think he used an ajustable linkage rod between one of the stock arms to his third one.

But as the others have said already Ford never did that from the factory. At least not on production models.

Paul

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
You Know I too have seen that Midget dancing on the table. No that's another story, But I ain't never seen 3 wipers.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Guys!

I'm glad this idea is still floating around. I would like to see the 3 arm set up with the stock linkage. It sounds cool plus I wouldn't mind it above the windshield frame too.

So just last night I changed out my wiper blades on my 3 arm set up and after 8 years it still works. $9.99 at O'Reilly's x3.

Side notes to the write up:

1. I'm running one 11" blade on the passenger side and two 13" blades in the middle and on the drivers side.

2. I need to repaint the arms, the paint faded and now they have a "patina."

3. The linkage showing at the bottom of the windshield frame below the glass does weep a bit of the lithium grease where the hard lines connect to the transmissions.

4. And thanks for posting that video, I completely forgot it was online.

Happy Friday the 13th!
:cool:

PS How do I post comments to the actual tech article? It would let me. Also, here a link to the tech article.

http://classicbroncos.com/tech/3-arm-wiper-set-up-below-the-windshield-frame