• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone ever run mechanical fuel injection?

12-Pack Jeff

Loc.
La Mirada, Ca
Just wonder if anyone ever ran or still runs mechanical fuel injection?? Hillborn? Enderle? Crower? would be pretty bitchen to see some stacks sticking out the hood of an old EB...

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
i had an enderle buzzard catcher on a drag car. it was a 67 chevy II tube chassis car. ran low 8's in the 1/4. all motor 565 cubic inch big block on alcohol :)

my old car got about 5 gallons per mile!!! i would hate to have one on my bronco.

OP
OP

12-Pack Jeff

Loc.
La Mirada, Ca
drool.. Novas.. I've had 2 65 wagons, 1 63 2 door.. how'd ya like the enderle setup w/ the buzzard catcher? heard mechanical injection is a "set it and forget" it kinda deal after its all dialed in... A lot of the boat guys I know swear by mechanical injection

67ster

Bronco Guru
Back in the late 60s, my partner and I had a set of Enderle stack injectors on a SBC . Yeah, they looked cool and the car ran right on the national record for a C/altered but I would never consider running them on the street or wheeling with a DD .

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One of my old coworkers built his own mechanical fuel injection system using a few Hillborn parts for his daughter's daily driver/drag Pinto with a 4-banger. Just based on the amount of time and effort that went into that system, I would have to agree that EFI is much more flexible, tunable, and higher performance in the end throughout the entire throttle range.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
set and forget? yeah right. you'd better know how to work on it, cause you'll be tuning it frequently. i know hot rodders who have it and they cuss it, aside from the looks. it also loads up at idle bad.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I believe there are a few folks with 4BTs running mechanical injection.

sandguy356

Loc.
Holland, MI
I wouldn't just for the fact that most mech injection is WOT set up, not really geared for partial throttle stuff.
With the EFI stuff that is out there, EFI seems a lot more practical these days on anything less than a full bore race bronco. I believe Kinsler makes a set up that looks like the mechanical stacks, but is actually 8 EFI throttle bodies.

67ster

Bronco Guru
2x on the Kinsler efi retro. and others are doing the efi thing on stack Hilborns for early ,middle and late Hemis. It can also be applied to bug,bird and buzzard catchers using either a blower or tunnel ram. There are several reasons that top fuel and funny cars aren't using it it the tremendous fuel flow required and NHRA rules mandate an air powered logic computer instead of electronic in the fuel classes.